Rock Gear Soft Top

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock Gear Soft Top

I recently purchased a new full-back soft top from www.rockgearinc.com and thought I'd let you all know about it now that I've had it a few weeks.

I purchased a black one with upper soft half doors for a delivered price of about $620. It does not have bows to support it, as it just stretches over your roll cage. California Tops makes a similar product, but I've heard their customer service is not the best. Not having bows makes it really easy to roll up and leave in the garage or in the back of the jeep on those warm days. The side and back curtains roll up and can be stowed in pockets sewn into the top. In this mode, you have the equivalent to a safari top, but the convenience of a full top if the weather changes. The upper door halves collapse and allow them to be rolled up as well...this makes storage in the jeep much easier. Below are my thoughts/complaints.

1) Doesn't seal well around the doors. I knew this prior to purchase and don't care, but someone else may care more than I do. The side curtains have an elastic band that allows them to stretch around the outside of the door, basically sealing it off.

2) Window plastic feels really thin. I haven't compared this to other new tops, but my OEM top had thicker plastic, which must be more durable.

3) No strap to hold the rear curtain open. It doesn't have, or I haven't found, a strap that holds the rear curtain in the rolled up position. In the fall and spring, I tend to like this setup with the half doors off to let a breeze through, but not be fully open. There are a series of straps and buckles that tension the top, some of which could probably be used for this purpose. However the traditional strap w/ snap would be more convenient.

4) Upper doors need storage bag. A tent-type storage bag for the collapsed upper door halves would be welcome. As it it now, you have four metal parts and the fabric to figure out where to store. If you don't collapse them, then it's just like typical upper half doors.

Overall I really like the top, particularly for the lack of a bow system to hassle with. I think the OEM TJ bow system is more user friendly than the YJ, so it may not be as beneficial for TJs.

Sounds like it might give those of us with garage clearance issues a possible alternative for a couple inches. It looks similar to the old Bestop SprintTop. How is it for noise?

Comment

That is one of the main reasons I picked this top. I don't have a garage right now, but with 4" lift and 35s, I'm getting close to the limit.

I can't tell that it's any different than the OEM YJ top as far as noise goes. My jeep doesn't have carpet anyway, so it's really hard to know if it's any noisier than stock. I did just drive to Hot Springs and back and have no complaints. If the wind noise gets to you, just push the door surrounds to the outside of the doors and it cuts it down some.

Comment

I thought I'd post up a little update since it has been 2 years since my purchase of this top.

QAULITY: Quality is somewhat of an issue here. Of the two years I've owned this top, only one of those it has been a daily driver. I typically take the top down in March/April, and put it up in October/November. I may have put it up once this summer, but can't remember for sure. Anyway, the threads started ripping in a few places last night when I put it on. To my way of thinking, a top that hasn't been taken up and down repeatedly should not be losing threads after only two years.

EASE OF USE: In retrospect, I think it was much easier and faster to put the old factory YJ top up and down. I didn't like how the hardware rattled, but I could go from top down to top up in about 5 minutes. Last night it took me at least 30 because of all the wierd little straps and stuff you have to mess with (and trying to remember how to do it after 5 months). Further, the plastic rib that you put under the metal rail around the tub is a bit of a pain. They obviously cobbled something together rather than use the typical Bestop rail (maybe patent issues, who knows) but it's not nearly as easy to use.

There is a competing top coming out that seems to be a better execution of the same idea. http://vikingoffroad.com/viking_fastback.html

Just thought I'd share my experience.

Comment

Well - I sent an email to Rock Gear regarding my concerns. I got a reply message stating that the company had recently been purchased by the current owners, and they had identified those same issues. Later, I received another email, the text of which is included below.

Good Morning Tommy, sorry to here about you top, i know about some of your concerns and we have corrected them we know use different thread. if you would like to send the top back i would be more them happy to repair it. let me know.
          thank again for your e-mail.

Maryanne McGaha
          I may take her up on the offer, but right now I have too many things to do. Maybe next week?

Comment

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Comment

Looks like they may be back in business...

www.rockgear.net

Comment

Yeah, that's how I found the email to contact her. I am going to send her an email this week to figure out the details of having her fix the stitching issues.

Comment

I think Rockgear has gone south. Anyone know of a similar top for the CJ5?

Comment

Rockgear is no more. California tops is the only other source for something similar, and I have no idea if they make one for a CJ-5. I have never heard anything good about them either.

Comment

Viking's site says that they will be shipping their Fast Back again soon. They say that they saw some quality issues with sewing and stopped production until they could address the problems right. Here's the link:
                      http://vikingoffroad.com/viking_fastback.html

Comment

Working...
                      X