No announcement yet.

Powertrax No Slip or ARB Air Locker???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powertrax No Slip or ARB Air Locker???

I am looking to buy a set of lockers front and rear. I have no experience with lockers so I am really needing some advice. I do some off roading but I am planning on more in the future. Nothing extreme like rock crawling as of yet but I plan on doing some in the future. I am moving to Michigan so I need something that will work well in the snow because they get a lot of it. If you would recommend something other than the powertrax or arb please feel free to give your opinion.

The powertrax no slip is an automatic locker, in that it decieds when to lock
    other auto lockers are detroit, lock right, aussie

The arb is a selectable locker in that you tell it when to lock
    other selectable lockers are ox, or e-lockers

the arb uses air, ox uses a cable, and now there are a 2 kinds of electric lockers

For driving in snow and ice you deffantly want a selectable, a locked axel
    on the ice will get you sideways

The Jeep rubicons have selectable lockers

Comment

I love the selectable lockers in my Rubi... they're there when I need 'em but I'm open the rest of the time. Great street manners, fun to wheel, and they'll get you out in a pinch with the push of a button. I'd go ARB over the powetrax if it were my money and I was going to be driving it on the street, especially in rain/snow/ice.

Comment

If I could I would go with an ected locker... their a posi / selectable locker so when their off they will still provide traction aid and when you push a buttion their locked!

Comment

I have Detroit TrueTracs, gear type limited slip both front and rear.

I love them they work when they are supposed to and you don't feel them when you don't need them.

Comment

Originally posted by tschafer

I love them they work when they are supposed to and you don't feel them when you don't need them.

Yea.....what he said. I have them front and rear as well. They have yet to let me down. Trutracs are great for a dd rig. They only work when needed otherwise you wont know they are there. They are also way cheaper than a selectable locker.

Comment

Originally posted by mud n rox

Yea.....what he said. I have them front and rear as well. They have yet to let me down. Trutracs are great for a dd rig. They only work when needed otherwise you wont know they are there. They are also way cheaper than a selectable locker.
              Would these be about the same as the Aussie? I am trying to decide on a locker for my d30.

Thx,

JOhn
              1997 Cherokee, 3", 32" MT's, and too many lights.. :)

Always Smilin'

Comment

no they really arnt like the aussie. Their a limited slip. If you get in a situation with 1 tire firm and the other slippin most likely the posi wont be enough... they work ok in mud but from my experience not as well with something more firm. The ausi is an auto locker and if wheel slip is detected it locks both axles together and no matter how much traction is on one tire and how little on the other they both spin... If your going to offroad I would go aussie before limited slip...

Comment

with a true trac(limited slip), if one wheel is in the air, thats the one that will turn.

with an aussie (or any automatic), both wheels will turn.(with POWER) :mrgreen:
                  I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                  Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                  it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                  Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Originally posted by FreemansXJ

Would these be about the same as the Aussie? I am trying to decide on a locker for my d30.

Thx,

JOhn

I have not experienced a real problem of my wheels being off the ground both front and rear at the same time. This would be something more prone to a leaf sprung suspension. This set up in a TJ is really hard to beat and about half the price.

I don't know much about the Aussie Locker but in my new project I am going with Detroit Lockers Front and Rear. This won't create a problem on the road with the Detroit Locker up front as I will have lock out hubs. Otherwise this would be a poor combination for a streeted rig.

I can honestly say that I have gone everywhere I have attempted with my Detroit TrueTrac's while wheeling with others having full auto lockers &/or selectable lockers. I will say that "BigAlThePlumber" has been able to go very similar places with open differentials.

I do believe that you get what you pay for and if you have the extra coin for a selectable locker there are benefits.

Comment

I have not experienced a real problem of my wheels being off the ground both front and rear at the same time. This would be something more prone to a leaf sprung suspension. This set up in a TJ is really hard to beat and about half the price.
                      with your true tracs front and rear this could happen in woods as follows;
                      if both a front and rear were in air at same time, you would be dead in the water

if a front tyre is airborne, you just have rear axle to power.

if a rear tyre is airborne, you have the front to pull you thru.

with an aussie, you still have the other tyre on the axle with a tyre in the air to help pull or power you thru. :mrgreen:
                      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

I can honestly say that I have gone everywhere I have attempted while wheeling with others having full auto lockers & selectable lockers. I will say that "BigAlThePlumber" has been able to go very similar places with open differentials.

I do believe that you get what you pay for and if you have the extra coin for a selectable locker there are benefits.

last several times I have been wheeling with big AL, he was SPOOLED front and rear on 37's no less. :mrgreen:

hope to see ya at frostbite Tom :P

keep the rubber side down :lol: :mrgreen:

and FYI

and I drive on snow and ice locked front and rear and its no biggie.

I know I have lockers and drive accordingly and love it. :mrgreen:
                        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Spune, you always give me a laugh! Thanks... and I look forward to wheeling (with you and the rest of the club) this year too. It just hasn't happened yet.

Big Al has a new BIG TOY but I was referring to his old YJ.

Comment

I kinda figured that squid, just being me, the spune LOL :P :mrgreen:
                            Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Not to Hijack :D After a lot of research I ended up with a Detroit Rear and Powr-Lok up front. I really wanted a ARB, but after driving one through the mud and another time in the snow I just felt it was a real piece of work directing it in my direction versus straight.

Now I could be wrong or my friend might of had other issues that he didn't point out or aware of, but I wanted something that slipped a bit for turning and still had pull.

I have read a lot of good things and would like to know the bad before I install shortly....
                              Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X