Faded Flares

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faded Flares

One of the first things I did after purchasing my TJ a few months ago was to address the faded flares. I went to the local parts store and they recomended Mothers Back to Black. It went on easy and restored the flares some-what. After a month and a bunch of rain, my flares look worse than they ever did.

Here is a pic after using Back-to-Black

Here is one month later

I decided to try the Krylon Fusion for plasics. Time will tell if this will hold up.

ewwwww :( I think Bestop makes some stuff like that but haven't heard anything about it :roll:

Comment

I have seen all different kinds of stuff for flares and I think the Krylon Fusion is the best. I painted mine right at 2 yrs ago and I'm about to do it again. They looked as good as the day I painted them up til about 6 weeks ago; then they faded pretty fast. My TJ sits outside in all this crazy weather we have here . Overall, I think the Krylon has held up very well. So figure in the cost of the paint, and a couple hours work, the Krylon works for me.

But the best way to deal with flares is to get rid of them and go tube fenders!!! :lol:

Comment

ive used that fusion on my jeep flares over a year and half ago and just did it on my truck flares like 2 weeks ago. i love the stuff....if works best if you sand it lightly

Comment

I heard from someone that you can use used diesel motor oil. Have not tried it, but thought it was interesting!

Comment

I'll get some before and after pics of my flares posted up. I just put some heat to them. Either use a small torch or paint drying gun and then finish up with some mothers polish. Mine were a light grey color and now I can see my reflection in them.

I used to use heat to bring back the color on my quad plastics when they got bent.

Comment

Justin, could you please give an update on the Fusion? My "color matched" flare idea did not pan out, so I need to make mine black again. TIA.

Comment

Its been almost 3 months since I painted them and they still look great. No pealing or fading yet.

Comment

good to know, atleast if I put mine back on, just trimmed off about 2" all the way around the fronts to clear my 33's. prolly going to do the back as well.

Comment

I have a year on mine with fusion, the only problem is trees and rocks will scrape it off, but I guess that is not bad. Since trees and rocks will also scrape the normal paint off a jeep.

Comment

Working...
                    X