Banks Header...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banks Header...

I'm going to get a Banks Header for my 2.5L and was wondering if anyone out there has done this already? What do ya think? My factory manifold cracked the other day and I might as well get a little more performance out of the 2.5.

Thanks!

I got one about a month ago on my 4.0. It's pretty good. I definitely feel a small boost in the lower RPM ranges, but the feeling really comes on after about 2,000 rpm. The engine seems to run a lot smoother when accelerating, especially when first moving from a stop. It's definitely quieter than my cracked manifold. It's a massive improvement, but it's definitely an improvement. This is all just impression and I didn't do any other upgrades when I put it on.

Comment

Well I already have Banks' Monster Exhaust system, so that should help as well. I don't know about the cat? I might hack it off, then again maybe not.

Comment

Keep the CAT or go with a hi-flow. You will not like how the jeep runs with so little back pressure, major loss of power and economy.
        I ran a magnaflow perforamnce cat got it from ebay for 85 bucks, worked great.
        Adam G

Comment

I believe that RJ just put that on as well for the yj. The stock manifold was cracked...and he replaced it with this. Try and give him a PM (RJ'sTJ) and he could help you.

Comment

Yep, my son Matt just put a Banks header on his 94 YJ due to a cracked stock manifold. I haven't driven it, but can tell you it certainly didn't cause any detrimental performance, quieted the noise level, and looks really nice. His YJ is an automatic with 3:07's on 33's and will run 80 down the highway without issue. I'd certainly recommend getting one, would for the TJ if needed.

Comment

Okay, I bought it today and it looks awesome... but now I have to find someone to put the part on for me. I already spent the money I don't have on the part, and I have to come up with more money for labor. I really want Mike at 4x4 Land to do the work but Topeka is a drive... I don't know what I want to do... :?

Comment

I love my Banks on the 4.0. RJ is right leave the cat on or go hi-flow cat. Engines need to have some backpressure to run right. I tried it without a cat and man did it ever suck. No power at all and very very bad mpg. I had a Magnaflow hi flow cat installed, made all the difference in the world.

Check out Midwest Muffler on SM Parkway. They do really good work and are reasonably priced.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockrash
                  Check out Midwest Muffler on SM Parkway. They do really good work and are reasonably priced.

I tried them and they said about $350! :shock:

Comment

Try Budget muffler on 87th street in Overland Park - next to Arby's in the same block as the library. I've had good experiences with the "Russians" who run the shop, price is usually pretty reasonable.

Comment

I'm going to go ahead and have 4X4 Land do the work... I would feel alot better about the work being done by them than some other shop I don't really know. Plus it's my daily driver, so I can't afford to have more problems than I already have.

Comment

Good choice - I'm a firm believer that with Mike you get very good value from a price and quality perspective. Matt had his put on where he works, but without that option he would have gone to Mike's.

Comment

Originally posted by RJsTJ
                          Yep, my son Matt just put a Banks header on his 94 YJ due to a cracked stock manifold. I haven't driven it, but can tell you it certainly didn't cause any detrimental performance, quieted the noise level, and looks really nice. His YJ is an automatic with 3:07's on 33's and will run 80 down the highway without issue. I'd certainly recommend getting one, would for the TJ if needed.
                          How in the **** is he doing 80 with 3.07's and 33's??? Please tell me the secret!!!

Are you and Matt going to Disney?

Comment

Hi Kyndl,

Shocked me too, but I was the one driving the chase car. Makes me wonder if it really has 3:07's, but I understand this was the standard gearing. Except for the Banks header, nothing else has been done to the motor. I don't know what RPM's he was turning, will have to ask.

We have "penciled" in Disney, but can't yet commit. Are you going?

Comment

Originally posted by RJsTJ
                              Hi Kyndl,

Shocked me too, but I was the one driving the chase car. Makes me wonder if it really has 3:07's, but I understand this was the standard gearing. Except for the Banks header, nothing else has been done to the motor. I don't know what RPM's he was turning, will have to ask.

We have "penciled" in Disney, but can't yet commit. Are you going?

yup i will be there...

Comment

Working...
                              X