Disney, OK - March 24th

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney, OK - March 24th

The Big Meats Run is over St. Patrick's day this weekend. I've always wanted to go watch the buggies, but from everyone I've talked to, that's ALL the BMR is about. Going and watching, not so much wheeling because it's SO crowded.

So I'm going the following weekend, 3/24. Anyone want to join us?

I'll go. Haven't been to Disney yet. Camping good? Details...?

Comment

camping.... you may want to stay away from Hogans, he prolly wont have the bathrooms/showers cleaned out from us this weekend!!!!! EEWWWWW!! YUK!! By saturday evening, the stuff flows out the doorways!

Comment

I'm bringing a tent for us. We camped at the campground across the dam from the spillway last year. I think it was $9 and they've got good bathrooms right there. If the weather turns nasty, we'll head for a hotel in town, but I'm planning to camp.

I'm heading down Friday morning to wheel Friday afternoon/evening, all day Saturday, then loading up Sunday morning to head back. I've got a 7pm flight and need time to unpack and unload the trailer before I head to the airport. You're welcome to caravan with me in either (or both) directions. I'm leaving from Smithville Friday morning around 7am, tentatively.

Comment

Ok. One of the JK guys was maybe thinking of coming. I'll let you know as it gets closer. If he bails I may caravan.

Comment

I might go. I'll let you know for sure as it gets closer.
            Jim Banner
            A couple of old YJ's with lots of junk and stuff

Comment

Here's a link to the location of Rec Area 2 for anyone who hasn't been down. Once the page loads, click the '+' on the map about 3-4 times to zoom in. I haven't been and this helped me get my bearings. :)

http://grandlake.uslakes.info/POIEdit.asp?id=742759

Comment

That's the location. We usually park on the backside of the bathrooms and there is some grass camping area. Trailers/toters are usually parked as far out of the way. Couple of picnic benches there. Bring firewood.
                Mike
                Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Yep, that's where I'm planning to pitch my tent. Bring heavy guage steel stakes though - the ground over there is pretty hard and I had a bit of trouble with the cheap plastic ones last year. I'm bringing plenty of firewood for the 2 nights I'll be there. We're heading down Friday morning, returning Sunday morning.

Comment

I'm out. Looks like I'll be out for a while. I tore the meniscus in my left knee and I'm scheduled for surgery on 3-30-2012. They tell me 6-8 weeks recovery time.
                    Jim Banner
                    A couple of old YJ's with lots of junk and stuff

Comment

Bummer. Going to have a local or be knocked out? I had surgery on my left back in 92 for a ripped meniscus. THey took video of it. 3 holes in the skin and I watched it all. Looks like fish....
                      Took a couple days to put weight on it, but it will be a stiffy. Get crutches. Then recovery will require walking, rolling ball, swing machine, towards the end jump rope and biking. Get ready to be placed back into shape....Good luck.
                      Mike
                      Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Dang Jim! Good luck with the surgery. I tore my medial meniscus back in '04 and had surgery. I gave up trying to let it heal after ~6 months of pain. I was back working the next day (from home) - it took about a week of keeping it elevated, icing it down to keep the swelling down, etc before I was walking on it semi-normally. I think I was flying and back to traveling in about 3 weeks, but I cheated and got "rides" from the electric carts in the airports.

I highly recommend a spinal block vs. general anesthesia if you can stand being awake in the surgery. You won't feel anything, but you also won't have the groggy nausia for the rest of the day; once the spinal wears off, you can walk out of the hospital the same day. I chatted with my surgeon during mine; he finally figured I was so interested that he lowered the drape and let me watch on his video monitor, explaining what he was doing as he went along, and took a bunch of still photos for me as souvenirs! :)

Comment

Working...
                        X