Veteran tips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veteran tips?

Hey all, Weasel here and new to the Jeep family (& forum) as of this winter with a 2014 JK Unlimited.

Been researching parks and appreciate all the comments and posts, looks like Kansas Rocks is the place to go and get started. :)

Looking to secure my essential gear and everything recommended here for hitting the trails. Any advice from the veterans on the forum for good sites or stores in KC to shop at for first aid kits, fire extinguisher, tow straps, a CB, etc?

Thanks & looking forward to getting to know you all!

Welcome. I'm in Lenexa as well.

You connected to FB? There is a military-like group out of Leavenworth, along with a JK specific group for the KC area, and several other groups wheelin' associated. These groups have a monthly meet-n-greet. Its a group and not a club. There is a difference.

As for CB, Midland can be ordered online and picked up at their warehouse over off 435/Front or delivered to your home. Radio Shack stores won't have anything, but order online and pick up at your local store. Then you can always stop at a Flying J, Pilot, and similar truck/fuel stops.
    Fire extinguishers can be had just about anywhere, but look at getting one specific for oil type fires. You're going to need a holder for it. Some come with one plastic, but the plastic can deteriorate in time. There are other types of holders for them, fabric/Velcro, quick disconnect, etc Really depends on your wants for spending you money.
    First aid kits are user choices. You can make up your own. Don't forget the little pills. Use contact eye cases to separate them out. Put a card in the kit to state which is what by color, location, which contact case, and month/yr. I definitely need to go through mine and toss out the 3-5 yr old pills. LOL
    Tow straps, make sure you get snatch straps with only loops at the ends. Tow straps are pull at tension. Snatch straps are 'rubber'-like and stretch giving potential energy to kinetic energy to help pull someone out of a sticky situation. Most of the time, that would be some kind of mud with its suctioning capabilities.

Look into 4wd.com, 4ws.com, and the like. A lot of what you really require can be had mail order or local store bought. 4x4Land, Topeka, probably has everything in stock for your shopping needs. Stomper4x4 is in Olathe and is specific to JKs.
    Last edited by jagular7; 06-30-2014, 05:33 PM.
    Mike
    Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Originally posted by jagular7 View Post
      Welcome. I'm in Lenexa as well.
      Thanks for the welcome Mike! We're off K-10 & Woodland, just a few blocks from Price Chopper, or Scooters, or Valley Wine & Spirits...depending on your best point of reference. :P

I just found and joined the KC JK Group, thanks for the heads up. :)

I am a rookie at wheeling and don't think the damage I did to a few vehicles in Iowa fields as a teen really count for much. ;) Hence I'm really looking forward to getting a start and I can already tell this club and forum has a lot of help to provide there!

Thanks for all the tips on other gear as well. That should give me a few things to start tracking down.

I saw some other good advice here to not focus too much on changes to the Jeep until you get out there and get a feel for what type of wheeling you're after. My JK already has some good stuff done to it (e.g. 3" lift, 35s, custom front/rear bumpers with winch) so hopefully that gives me a good starting point to build from. :)

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Comment

Like Jagular said, except oil type fires are class Bravo fires ( B ) and dry chemical and CO 2 both work on them , Plus water when used in the High velocity option with a good swinging pattern instead of Solid stream ! I know, as I was a US Navy Fire Martial and also spent time as a Fire fighting / damage control instructor at the Fleet DC school years ago ! ;)
        I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
        it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
        Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

I carry a first aid kit from this outfit:

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...sportsman.html

Several websites sell them - might even try Amazon or eBay once you figure out which one you want.

Pretty nice. Compact, specific to what you may need/want based on days of travel and people to tend to.
          Last edited by JeepN4kc; 07-01-2014, 04:56 PM.
          -Mike B-
          '01 XJ Sport
          '11KK Limited

Comment

The Mike's and Spune covered things pretty well.

Might consider a tire plug kit. Don't get the really cheap ones, the reamer and plug hand tools are flimsy and make it harder on you to get the job done well.

It wasn't mentioned, but something that goes hand in hand buying Jeep gear, is a way to store it.

This might start another aspect of the discussion that you had not thought of? You don't want your gear sloshing around in the back while your out on the trail.

I would recommend getting tool bags for your gear. They are typically cheaper than tool boxes, you can store just as much if not more when comparing size dimensions, and they fit odd shaped spaces better. I can put over 75lbs of tools and recovery gear behind the back seat of a CJ7, tied down. I carry two of them, one with tools the other with recovery gear. About the only thing that I couldn't fit into the tool bags was a fully assembled set of axle shafts for both sides.

Anyways, something to think about.

Wally

Comment

Welcome to the madness. You might check into the 101 class at Kansas Rocks, if you haven't already. It is scheduled for Sept. 6.
              Bill T.

Comment

another thing to consider if its an under hood fire , is CO 2 best option as Dry Chemical plays Havoc on anything electrical it comes in contact with ! .... it aint dangerous or anything like that, but the electronics wont be worth squat afterwards forsure ! .... electronics and CO 2 play well together no matter what the circumstances ! :) ;)
                I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

When it comes to fire extinguishers I opted for a HalGuard fire extinguisher manufactured by H3R Performance. They can be bought from numerous sources online. They are not cheap but they are rated ABC and don't leave behind corrosive powder that the cheaper extinguishers do. Also, because they are liquified gas, you don't have to worry about the powder settling and compacting in the extinguisher and possibly rendering the extinguisher useless.

You can read up on them at H3R's website. http://www.h3rperformance.com/halguard_products.htm
                  Heath
                  2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock
                  2014 JKU Rubicon X Package - Deceased - Thank you for your sacrifice in protecting my family.

Comment

Thanks for all the great input everyone! That's helping me get started on gear collection. :)

Thanks to Wally's reply, I'm gonna browse a little on older threads and likely start a new one specific to gear and/or soft top and tonno covers as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X