Finally getting a winch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally getting a winch

Finally getting a winch this weekend! Found a deal on the Superwinch 8500 back home. Just had to spout off on that. Please return to your normally scheduled program. :)
    "People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them." -Dave Barry

:applause2:
    "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
    Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

Comment

Hey really! is it a great deal? can you get more than one. I may not really be able to afford it right now with getting my trailer fixed but I really think that should be my next investment :)

Comment

I finally got one and Ill tell ya what. it makes you think, "hey I got a winch I could probably climb that, if not just hook up and drag me there" it makes you a whole lot braver!

Comment

Originally posted by oneblackTJ View Post
          I finally got one and Ill tell ya what. it makes you think, "hey I got a winch I could probably climb that, if not just hook up and drag me there" it makes you a whole lot braver!
          Haha I completely agree with this statement.

On a different note, I have a Superwinch LP8500 on my XJ. It has been a great winch and probably the best investment on my Jeep so far. The only thing I've had problems with is that it took on water due to undersized 0-rings where the motor mounts. If this happens call Superwinch and report your problem, customer service should send you a brand new motor in 7-10 business days.
          sigpic

Comment

Post up some pics! :-)

Comment

Picked it up yesterday at the farm and fleet in my home town back in iowa. Out the door price was $299, plus tax of course. I'll post up a couple of pics when I get home and get it mounted.
              "People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them." -Dave Barry

Comment

Originally posted by tfiedler View Post
                when I get home and get it mounted.
                Yeah don't worry about the whole hooking it up part. We won't need it to pull us out or anything, we just need it to look pretty. Haha :)

Comment

Originally posted by Scottm2010 View Post
                  Yeah don't worry about the whole hooking it up part. We won't need it to pull us out or anything, we just need it to look pretty. Haha :)
                  It *did* look pretty and I'm sure glad that K5 was there to winch us out! It will be getting wired tomorrow morning, along with a bath for the jeep. That grinding noise went away shortly after I dropped you off too.

Comment

I have to agree, it did look pretty good. It was all my fault it was squeaking. Ha! As Jodee would say, it was my "fat ***".

Comment

Well now we know it is you Scott!! 2 different Jeeps and 2 problems, 1 common dominator...You!!! HA HA HA LOL Sorry I missed all the fun I really wish I could have made it down. Glad everyone had fun and there was no major carnage.

Comment

After wiring it up, re-wrap the cable on the drum with some resistance. The factory just rolls it on the drum. You need to put some tension on the cable and wind it up on the drum.

A large parking lot works well for this. Attach cable to something that won't move. Drive the Jeep back till there are 3-4 wraps still on the drum. Put trans in nuetral and put parking brake on to provide some resistance (not to tight). Start winding it in. Use your hips to manuever the cable on the drum. Use leather gloves to protect your hands.
                        Mike
                        Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

I thot Brian (K5man) was in Alaska.
                          I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                          Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                          it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                          Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Originally posted by spunebil View Post
                            I thot Brian (K5man) was in Alaska.
                            It was a different K5, they did make more than one of them :p

Comment

Originally posted by jagular7 View Post
                              After wiring it up, re-wrap the cable on the drum with some resistance. The factory just rolls it on the drum. You need to put some tension on the cable and wind it up on the drum.

A large parking lot works well for this. Attach cable to something that won't move. Drive the Jeep back till there are 3-4 wraps still on the drum. Put trans in nuetral and put parking brake on to provide some resistance (not to tight). Start winding it in. Use your hips to manuever the cable on the drum. Use leather gloves to protect your hands.
                              Mike, you don't mean three or four layers right? I was thinking like spooling 90 feet or so, leaving 10 feet wrapped.

Comment

Working...
                              X