2014 Dirty Kanza 200

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Dirty Kanza 200

The 2014 Dirty Kanza 200 is fast approaching, and as in past years the KC Jeep Club will be providing course assistance.

Please see the event page on Facebook for complete details.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1398849280367902/

Send me a PM if you need information or want to participate.

-Todd
    I'm all in, and will be there Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
    14.29%
    I will be there Friday and Saturday
    0.00%
    I would like to be a rider but cannot drive
    0.00%
    I will help out on Race Day
    14.29%
    I cannot participate, I am heartbroken over it, and I may never recover
    71.43%

The poll is expired.

"People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them." -Dave Barry

Bumping this thread. We have four volunteers right now and given the benefit the club receives, we really could use a few more. If you can help out on Saturday, that is really where we need it.
    "People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them." -Dave Barry

Comment

If you haven't driven through the Flint Hills, this is a good opportunity to do some sightseeing and help out the club, at the same time.
      Bill T.

Comment

I realized that I haven't described this event and for those who aren't familiar with it, that means they have no idea what it is or why they would want to volunteer, so here goes:

THE RACE: The Dirty Kanza is a 200 mile gravel bicycle race that draws riders from across the country and a few other countries as well. It has grown in size each year it has been put on and the club has been fortunate enough to help with the race each year. The race has grown so large and successful, that the race coordinator now does the race full time and the city of Emporia sells out all of its hotel rooms, campsites, and has even started opening the residence halls at Emporia State for people on the weekend of the race.

WHAT WE DO: So what do we do? A few things: primarily we mark the course on the Friday before the race. We also help sweep the course on the race day, provide a limited amount of rider support on race day (water, rides to the nearest checkpoint when they are dropping out, etc.), and generally get to have a good time helping out with a great bunch of people.

WHAT IT TAKES TO BE A VOLUNTEER: You do not need to be set up as a rock crawler or mudder. Recovery points are good, some parts of the route can be rough in bad weather, for example, if the weekend is very rainy there will be places you can get stuck. Your vehicle does need to be capable of running all day and have room to carry the course staking materials, and of course, it needs to be street legal. You need to be able to read a county road map too. This is a great activity for people who like trail running and more safari-style outings. While it isn't necessary, you might consider bringing a second-seat rider for this event because it is easier when one person drives and the other stakes. You can do it driving by yourself of course, but know that you will be hopping in and out of your Jeep at least once every mile, and more in some areas, during the staking part. To be fair, I've done it by myself two years and it isn't that big of a deal to not have a partner along with you.

WHAT DOES THE CLUB GET: A donation, $1,500 to be exact. Good will and exposure. And those who participate? They get to drive around in some truly beautiful scenery, on roads that most people will never see, and a warm fuzzy feeling from helping out.

INTERESTED? Please PM me, call me, or sign up to help on the event page. The more the merrier!

Comment

This is May 30 - June 1, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
            This is May 30 - June 1, correct?
            Yes. We are marking the course on the 30th, the race is on the 31st (which is the day we need the most volunteers) and we will be pulling the course as sections are cleared on both the day of the race and Sunday morning.

Comment

Committed to race day. Might be able to make Friday & Saturday, but we have a busy schedule these days so it's entirely dependent upon kid activities.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyG View Post
                Committed to race day. Might be able to make Friday & Saturday, but we have a busy schedule these days so it's entirely dependent upon kid activities.
                Sweet! Thanks.

Comment

ALL:

I am starting to finalize the volunteer list for the Dirty Kanza 200 Jeep club event.

If you've volunteered to help, please let me know which of the following days, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, you will be available to help.

The list I have right now is as follows:

Jeeper Name (club callsign), Days Available

Todd Fiedler (tfiedler), Fri,Sat,Sun
                  Sarah Fiedler (non-member), Fri,Sat,Sun
                  Kenneth Burns (treedawg), Fri,Sat,Sun
                  Ron Armstrong (bloojoop), Fri,Sat,Sun
                  Shelley Baker (tigger), Fri,Sat,Sun
                  Tommy Graves (TommyG), Sat
                  Paul McAfee (????). Fri,Sat,Sun

If I have missed anyone, please shoot me a PM here or on the Facebook event page.

Thanks,
                  Todd
                  Last edited by tfiedler; 03-04-2014, 04:22 PM. Reason: updated volunteer list

Comment

ALL:

There are new staff shirts for this year. Please send me the sizes you will need or just reply to this post with what you will need, and I will make sure to get that information to Jim.

If you've already replied to this on the Facebook event, no need to do so here...

Comment

Sunday Breakfast at Little Richards Family Restaurant

Also

All of us volunteers are going to meet at Little Richards Family Restaurant at 301 North M-291 Highway in Independence this Sunday, May 18th, at 9am, for breakfast.

Kenny, Ron, and myself will definitely be in attendance but any and all Jeepers are welcome to join us, even if you're not volunteering for the Dirty Kanza this year.

Thanks,
                      Todd

Comment

your poll missed one answer..... its fairly simple , its .........NO ! ...... no other reason ! ..... Guess how I voted ! .........;)
                        I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                        it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                        Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Originally posted by spunebil View Post
                          your poll missed one answer..... its fairly simple , its .........NO ! ...... no other reason ! ..... Guess how I voted ! .........;)
                          Clearly since you posted, you are heartbroken about not being able to help out, so you are eligible to respond to the bottom button :)

LOL...

John
                          1997 Cherokee, 3", 32" MT's, and too many lights.. :)

Always Smilin'

Comment

Working...
                          X