• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil retainers

To prevent this from happening to you
    http://www.kcjeepclub.org/gallery/di...bum=201&pos=35

and the following another action picture
    http://www.kcjeepclub.org/gallery/di...bum=201&pos=36

add a coil spring retainer to the front right side of the TJ. There is a small hole already in the pad for a bolt and the clip. Get one from an XJ, or another TJ.

Or get shorter shocks.....
    Mike
    Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

I've seen that happen on both sides. You can also just drill a hole in a piece of strap steel and bolt it into the same pad.

Shorter shocks are not a good remedy. Using a shock as either a limiting strap or bump stop is a great way to dramatically shorten their life.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyG
      I've seen that happen on both sides. You can also just drill a hole in a piece of strap steel and bolt it into the same pad.

Shorter shocks are not a good remedy. Using a shock as either a limiting strap or bump stop is a great way to dramatically shorten their life.
      Justin Timberlake...........................

Comment

Ummm, dan I don't think JT would work as a good bumpstop...

Comment

Look what I've done. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Comment

You said it, not me!! I can't say a whole lot, one of the girls up here got me to dance to it...though I was dancing with her, and I haven't listened since.

Comment

HA!! i have retainers, just havent put them on yet, got to find the right bolts

P.S. no on the shorter shocks idea. i like em.

Comment

Originally posted by TommyG

Yah, but its really difficult with a coil setup, unbinding arms, etc. Shocks is what holds the ale/tire in the air. I guess its much better than any brake line. Shorter shocks, yah who was I kidding? Though someone could take that serious :lol:

I've got a plan as for the top of the coils to be retained in a TJ both front and rear. Though most of the time, the rear coil is usually the one dislodged as there is nothing holding it on. It requires stock rubber isolators and a small plate. I've got a pair, but need another set. Think those bump stop bolts are strong enough to hold a spring up? I do have a pair of axle straps, but they are not long enough.
                Mike
                Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

I think as long as there are more than a couple threads in the hole, and the bolt is grade 5 or better (I use only grade 8) then it should hold up fine.

Comment

i have the holes and the tabs (Thanks a ton Fred) i just have to wash it and sometime when im not doing a million other things find the right size bolt and put them on.

Comment

Search http://mn-jeep.com there's an articl....My .02 worth.

Comment

Is this the idea from the forum?
                        http://mn-jeep.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9429

My thought was to get a plate and secure it between the bump stop and the tube. On top of the plate would be a stock rubber isolator.

In the rear of the TJ with a 2" spring spacer, the top of the spring is near the end of the tube where the bump stop bolts. So this idea would 'sandwhich' the spring and probably work well. For the front, I've got ACOS and their threaded tube is longer than the stock tube. The spring wouldn't be sandwhich so their would be some travel at full droop. Though I could cut the ACOS tube shorter. I'll have to look into this when its much warmer in the driveway....
                        Mike
                        Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Working...
                        X