Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

learning stuff... could this be moved to the tech area?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• learning stuff... could this be moved to the tech area?

if anyone has a set of 1-2" lift shackles for a yj laying around i'd take probably take them.
    Thanks Tyler

You'll need them to clear 35's. Also, you won't want anything over an inch.

Comment

i know.

Comment

Why not build your own?

All you need is some 1/4" or 5/16" strap and some 1x1" square tube for the crossbar and weld them up. Stock shackles are 4" long, so if you need 1" lift you need to make them 6" long.

Comment

i guess i could, never really thought about it.

Comment

I used to have a cheap set that were nothing more than some strips of steel with a crossbar welded in between. I got rid of them several years ago, or I'd offer them up.

Factory YJ shackles have the holes at 4" centers. Just adjust that distance by 2x whatever lift you want and weld a crossbar in for strength.

Comment

if it weren't for the fact that i already have about a dozen projects going on my jeep i would do it and i may still.

on another note i just jacked up one corner of my jeep and the tires didn't hit so maybe with tj flares on the back i can get away without a shackle lift for now

Comment

I'd do a spring over before I would do a shackle lift. I had that
                on my Cj7, major death wobble.

Comment

i'm defanantly not gonna do a spring over due to already poor drive line angles, but why did you have DW?

Comment

What about a shackle reverse for the front??I think Barry ran one for a while.

Comment

i thought about that but i don't have the time or money

Comment

decided to build some

Comment

Originally posted by Blacksheepjeep
                          i'm defanantly not gonna do a spring over due to already poor drive line angles, but why did you have DW?
                          All other things being equal (good bushings, bearings, etc.), DW can be induced from installing lift shackles on the front because it changes castor angle in the wrong direction. (Can't remember at the moment if it is in the neg or pos direction.)

I made my own shackles, too. Go to a scrap metal recycler. I got enough material to make 4 shackles for about $10. I used 3/8", which is way overkill, but at least I know they're not going to break. Google "Daystar H pattern" and use them as a template.

This isn't a shot of the shackle, but you can see it in the pic off to the right:

Comment

Originally posted by Blacksheepjeep
                            All other things being equal (good bushings, bearings, etc.), DW can be induced from installing lift shackles on the front because it changes castor angle in the wrong direction. (Can't remember at the moment if it is in the neg or pos direction.)

I made my own shackles, too. Go to a scrap metal recycler. I got enough material to make 4 shackles for about $10. I used 3/8", which is way overkill, but at least I know they're not going to break. Google "Daystar H pattern" and use them as a template.

This isn't a shot of the shackle, but you can see it in the pic off to the right:

Comment

Jeeps like to see 5-7 degrees positive caster. When you do a shackle
                              lift you reverse the angle and draw away from that. Significantly
                              changing the steering geometry. Hence creating bump steer. Shackle
                              reversal is good if you want better handling on road. It is not a good
                              thing off road. This is a huge debate so no flames please.

I'm curious, how much lift do you have right now? Is this a DD or a
                              OFV? If drive line angles are an issue, why not get a transfer case
                              lowering kit, 1" and improve your drive angles?

Comment

Working...
                              X