Shocking Jeep Modifications

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocking Jeep Modifications

I wrote a very nice post, but forgot I was just previewing it and closed the window before actually posting it. So, here's an abbreviated post (like I'm capable of such things!)

I needed new shocks (the Superlift shocks blow), so I picked up a used set of two 12" (maybe 14", I forget) travel Bilstein 5150s a while back. I finally got around to building shock hoops. I used a Cummins Tools 12-ton pipe bender. Works OK, but does kink and dimple the tube. Probably fine for shock hoops though.

The I bought a new set of Bilstein 5100s (10 or 12" travel, again I forget) for the rear. I made a new crossmember out of angle-iron and inboarded the upper mounts, and replaced the old lower mounts with studs. This keeps the mounting axis parallel with the pivot axis of the Jeep. Hopefully this will aid in articulation.

Lower Mounts:

Upper Mounts w/ Crossmember:

This will require some exhaust mods as the tailpipe was in the way. I will get this finished soon because the noise is horrible! The new tailpipe will run between the shock and framerail, as opposed to nearer the center of the Jeep.

Since I had the welder out, I decided I should fix my catalytic converter hanger. I just cut the old hanger w/ isolater from the old tranny mount. Then drilled and tapped a hole to mount it to the skid plate. I should grind the nub of bolt off, but I'm sure a rock will fix it for me.

I also need to fix a bent spring hanger. I wedged it on a rock at KS Rocks last month and it was bent in pretty badly. I pulled it back out, and braced it with a piece of 1.5" x 2" - 5/16" strap.

My welds aren't pretty, but they should be plenty strong. My belly pan and spring perches have held up well, so I expect the same from this stuff.

hmmmmmmmm boogers!
    LOL!
    Looks good man.
    Adam G

Comment

Thanks. If I welded a little more often, I'd have it figured out. I'm always pretty rusty for the first few, then it starts to come around. I've gotten pretty decent at filling holes...I had to because I kept burning them in the shock hoops!

The welds would look better if I hit them with a grinder, but I get lazy. I just chip off the slag and go with it.

Comment

Yup, same style I practice.
        Adam G

Comment

:shock: Yeah,, I can't talk smack, my welds are just as pretty :? One thing though you will probably only get about half the dampening out of your shocks since they are at a 45 degree angle. Mine are angled also and I have RS9000's and I have to keep them on 9 for the rear.

Comment

:roll:

Comment

I figured that into the equation. With the fairly stiff leafs from Superlift, it actually rides fairly well. Much better than the original setup.

Comment

With the shock changes, any pics of articulation?

I'd like to see those spring baja bushings at work, and up close.
                Mike
                Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

I'm going to find a loading dock soon, since I won't be hitting the trails anytime in the next several weeks. I'll be sure to get a few pics of the Baja Bushings. I like them enough that I'm considering a pair for the front too.

Comment

I had the exhaust fixed yesterday by Royal Muffler in Lee's Summit.

It didn't turn out exactly as I wanted, but works fine. I had wanted the tailpipe to hug the frame rail, but they ran it closer to the upper shock mounting points. After he finished I saw what was done and explained why I thought it wasn't going to work. They committed to fix it if there is interference. They are good people.

I need to find a place/way to flex the suspension to the max...without driving to the trail. I'm thinking of a loading dock or something like that, but haven't found one around LS. Got any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by TommyG

I need to find a place/way to flex the suspension to the max...without driving to the trail. I'm thinking of a loading dock or something like that, but haven't found one around LS. Got any ideas?
                      Do you know anyone with a forklift, or engine hoist??? Hook it to one of your front tires, and up up and away!!

Dan

Comment

I don't know of any forklifts, and no engine hoists that are convenient to reach.

Comment

Go back to the muffler location. Use their frame lift. Just place 1 front tire on the corner and lift. Then do the same with the rear.

Do all tires singularly to make sure you get all the suspension cycling on all corners.

Same thing for driving up a ramp, but not a true real world twist. If you want to do that, you lift opposite corner tires.

If you still want a loading ramp, check industrial buildings/areas.
                          Mike
                          Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Originally posted by jagular7
                            Go back to the muffler location. Use their frame lift. Just place 1 front tire on the corner and lift. Then do the same with the rear.

Do all tires singularly to make sure you get all the suspension cycling on all corners.

Same thing for driving up a ramp, but not a true real world twist. If you want to do that, you lift opposite corner tires.

If you still want a loading ramp, check industrial buildings/areas.
                            The shop wouldn't do it because they didn't want the risk if something went wrong. Can't say that I blame them, even though I know the risk is minimal.

I have checked most of the industrial buildings around LS and none that I've found are the right type. Most are either just elevated slabs, or have really tall shielding walls that no rig could climb.

I think the yacht club at Lotawana has a wall along the boat ramp that would work. I don't remember how tall it is though. We were members when we lived there, so I'm sure I could crawl on that without getting into trouble.

If not I'll just have to find a roadside ditch.

Comment

I have an engine hoist at the house, not sure that qualifies as close or convientent.
                              Adam G

Comment

Working...
                              X