cheap hid fog lights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheap hid fog lights

I wanted some bright fog lights to go with my hid headlights but coulding afford the real hid lights. so on to my favorite tool store i went.... harbor freight. I purchased the 6in. chrome offroad lights. 9.99ea. after sanding and painting them black with a red ring I found that a company on ebay sells H3 hid kits which are the little bulbls u find in most fog lights. 33.95 a pr.I mounted them on some windshield mounts and wired them to the bright s curcuit on the tj. so for about fifty bux and some extra wire i made an second set of hid lights. just fyi for those of us who like the good stuff but cant afford it.

Looks good! can't wait till i do my Headlights

Comment

very nice. Might have to try that

Comment

My brother always used to use the DTM Tuning HID kits. they are like $35 for the lights and the balasts

Comment

lets see some links to the lights and ballasts. I have been messing with 12v landscaping LED's for utility/rock lights on the truck and jeep once I get some good comparisons i will post some links. I am all about cheap lighting.

Don't want to high jack but i have always liked light..Maybe I should start a thread for this specifically

not the cheap 12v landscape lighting but http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Ligh...s/BUL72CB.html if you have room are impressive for $20

Comment

here is the link to the hid's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SLIM-HID-KIT...da18b6&vxp=mtr

and the lights are here http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-...tem-95811.html

I scuffed and repainted the lights cuz the chrome is kinda cheesy to me....

Comment

Pics are hard to see when talking about lighting levels . this looks like 8000k? the LED's that I like are 6000K not many above that in the LED world

Comment

no the h3's i chose were 5000k pure white and very bright. I wouldnt go any higher than that cuz when you do your spread of light gets smaller.

Comment

I am curious, interested, but also have a question? Is the wire that comes with HF lights adequate for the HID replacements lights?

Wally

Comment

no because the hf lights ar h3 wich is the single wire grounded to the housing setup. the hid kit light fits into the housing and powered through its own ballast. you do have to use two flat blade screw drivers to get the glass housing out of the surround. just like putting on a tire or taking it off. i did however take the two chrome trim rings off cuz they looked cheesey and alot better without them

Comment

ok when you get the hid kit from xentec (btw I have run the same pair in my head lights for about 2yrs no prob) the wiring to the ballast and from the ballast is very short. I used some black an red braided copper wire that was a little thicker just incase. I pulled the wiper channel cover off and hid the ballasts under there. as of right nowi have them wired together down to one wire and grounded to one wire. for power i used a spade connector and slide it into the bright side of the light harness and it worked very well. I will soon be switching it to an actual switch with a relay. here are some other pics. if yall want more detailed pics let me know what you want a pic of.

Comment

where did you hide the ballasts for the fogs?

Comment

under the panel that covers the wiper motor

Comment

Thanks for the idea! I just picked up a pair of these lights last week from Harbor and ordered the HID kit. The HIDs are already out for delivery today!

I personally don't have a problem with a little chrome on an old school CJ, so I'm not painting mine, at leat as long as they don't start rusting. :)

Comment

Hey rescue when u get em done post some pics I'd like to see how the look on ur cj

Comment

Working...
                              X