SYE for a Slushbox TJ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SYE for a Slushbox TJ

Don't make the same mistake I've made. If your running a Automatic in your TJ and want to go with a SYE. Spend the money and get a "Super Short" or "Mega Short" SYE kit.

If not you will later, my rear D/S has lasted about 8 months since the regular SYE was installed and it's starting to come apart.

I thought I did all the research, some how this slipped by me.

Hope this helps someone
    sigpicerrinjan 99 TJ to much to list....

Ah ok since the all the tranny/adapter/tcase’s are about the same length it must be the amount of lift SO how mush lift are you running and for that matter where did you get your drive shaft???
    KB0ZNR
    05 LJ, Chevy LSS, 241OR, Mutt long arm, OBA, AEV High Line, Full cage, 35s tube steps and bumpers, 31.5 gal fuel tank

Comment

I'm running 4" of lift. The D/S is a cut down Cherokee shaft. The super short SYE is 3" shorter. Next D/S will be a Tom Woods hopefully.
      Teraflex has a group buy kit- SYE + Tom woods shaft for about $580 (not sure I want another Teraflex-seals are horrible)
      I've had a constant vibration since the 8.8 install. Between the offset of the yoke on the 8.8 and how short the drive shaft is hopefully the Super Short will alleviate this vibration.

Comment

its the off set with the 4 inch that hurting you and i would never use a woods shaft i know of lots around Ogden anid SLC that have stoped as they dont hold up And lest i checked tera was not useing woods shafts
        KB0ZNR
        05 LJ, Chevy LSS, 241OR, Mutt long arm, OBA, AEV High Line, Full cage, 35s tube steps and bumpers, 31.5 gal fuel tank

Comment

Good to know thanks. I'll just have one made here locally. One guy out here had a f350 shaft cut down for his cherokee.
          As far as Tereflex using Woods. It was just a group buy combo I think

Comment

Is your 8.8 set at correct angle? Cuz the stock 8.8 is not ;)
            I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
            Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
            it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
            Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Glad you posted and started this discussion, because I am getting ready to do a parallel project and thus the topic interests me.

I take it this is a stock TC? I am curious of the DS angles too? Single or double carden/ CV rear DS?

I have the same wheelbase, 2.5" of lift, T-176 manual, my DS angle is 18-19 degrees. On top of that its a single carden DS. Even though the TC and rear end are parallel to one another, the U joints are operating at 8-9 degrees and thus over 65mph, there is a mild vibration.

I am moving to a longer TC, Atlas 2 speed with standard length HD tail housing, the angle is only going to get steeper. So I am going to move to CV style rear DS, have my current one cut up and converted as well for a trail spare.

Wally

Comment

when installing an 8.8 your chances of driveline vibrations are extremely high. With the compound angle created because the pinion is offset to the passenger side, you are trying to adjust angles without being able to correct the centering angle. By installing a supershort sye kit you are helping the situation but will still find yourself battleing vibes most likely. We do this over and over and it can be very time consuming and sometimes simply cannot be corrected. We steer way clear of tom woods drive shafts. Yes he stands behind them, but if you buy one, you better buy two. I'm 13 for 13. 13 bought and 13 sent back for warranty. We use our local spicer dealer with 10 times better results. If you must buy online , (cringe) rather than local look at the many driveline dealers who actually use spicer and neapco american made componants and you'll be much happier with the results. Wally, your answer is to lengthen your wheelbase to 112 and get some 42's :)
                4x4LAND.com
                Mike
                Knowledge is priceless

Comment

What is the ultimate fix for the 8.8 vibrations?

Cut the brackets off, center the differential, put wheel spacer on one side or cut the housing down and run a shorter shaft on one side. OR push the axle back a few inches or a combination of both?

Wally

Comment

No issue here. Stock ds with only a ds flange on it to mount to the 8.8 pinion flange. Still have the slip yoke too.

Rather than lower the tcase skid for the lift, I lifted the motor for a similar rear tcase output angle. Yah, I got vibes. But I don't drive much street with it. Its a slow 4cyl slug.
                    Mike
                    Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

I have an 8.8 with 3 1/2" or 4" lift ( It came with it)
                      There is a ss short sye and I have a double cardon ds and I drive it every day and never noticed a vibration, so I assume who ever installed 8.8 did something Right! ;)
                      Now I wish I knew what ss sye they installed so I can get a speedo! Lol
                      I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                      it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                      Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

I've heard there's not much of an issue with a manual tranny. I've had the pinion angle adjusted a few times. With the installation of the SYE we raised the transfer case back up (probably should have left it down). If the super short doesn't work well I may just have the brackets cut off and have the pumpkin centered. We have several drive shaft shops here. I have a buddy that just put 1 ton Drive shafts in his xj. I love the 8.8 I'd love it more if it didn't shake.

Comment

Working...
                        X