Articulating the TJ axles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Articulating the TJ axles

To find out what the suspension would do at full droop and compression, without a normal ORV ramp, I found a loading ramp to articulate. The ramp measured 14*.

I wanted to know how much shock I have at full bump stop, and how much front brake line I had at full extension of the shock. I just installed my quick disconnect frame brackets on the frame and haven't run without them connected.
    I'm not quite fully articulated....

No tire lifted yet, but ran into a slight problem here with the coil bucket w/ 1/2" shock to go

The other side

The compressed rear w/ ~3/4" of shock to go

The other side rear still on the ground. Notice the lower arm hits the frame bracket.

There are a few more pics in the photobucket album http://photobucket.com/albums/d99/jagular7/Articulating. I have Unltd coil springs, ACOS front & 2" poly rear spacers, 2" bump stop riser on the front axle, 4" longer shocks, extended rear bottom shock mounts, RE front track bar, Currie tie rods, adj front lower & upper rear arms, raised rear track bar, YJ front brake lines, 7" rims w/ 34x10.5 LTBs...I know that the rear can be compressed more as I've got a picture where the tire barely rubs the back of the flare on the body. Notice here the YJ brake line rubs on the shock body with tire turned left

At this point, I have full steering to the left with no other interference

But turn right I can't get to full lock stop due to sway bar

Other info: those blue wire clips secure 50# fishing line to the JKS snap rings. I've heard these tend to get lost while wheeling. The line is there to prevent that. The hose clamp on the sway bar keeps it centered on the frame. It tends to push to the right, driver's side rubs the frame. Both front coils are secured to axle buckets.
    Mike
    Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

what BS on those wheels?

Comment

Re: Articulating the TJ axles

Originally posted by jagular7
      Other info: those blue wire clips secure 50# fishing line to the JKS snap rings. I've heard these tend to get lost while wheeling. The line is there to prevent that.
      I did lose one of these on the last run I made... I'm going to have to do this.
      It's always the simple stuff that passes you by :D

Comment

I'd have to go measure exactly but I think its 3.75" on the 15x7" rim. These are just a standard rim. I figure if you go with a 12.5 wide tire, it'll stick out too much beyond the flare; and you wouldn't have enough clearance on compression. The width difference is only 1.75" (10.5-7/2). I wanted to use the original 6" wide rim, but the bs wasn't right and I would need spacers. I wanted to stick with a skinny tire as the 4cyl barely has enough on its own. A wider tire would have more contact area, thus more friction. Besides with a skinny tire, I don't need wider flares....

For the fishing line, I couldn't find any 'leader' line with crimps, so I bought the cheapest and strongest line. The crimps are just electrical. I tied a knot in the ends of the line after crimping and pulled the line tight. If you know how to tie a tight fishing knot, then I would think you won't need the crimps.
        Mike
        Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

I have the same suspension set up on my TJ. Acos up front, pucks in the rear also 1" bl. Im running 33x12.50x15 pro comp mt on 15x8 wheels not sure of the back space. The front tires do rub some on the flairs at full stuff.
          I really like the set up.

Comment

i some times rub my 33s on a tj with 6 inches of lift does any one know if you run in to any problems with a 1 inch body lift?

Comment

Originally posted by 08_2000_tj
              i some times rub my 33s on a tj with 6 inches of lift does any one know if you run in to any problems with a 1 inch body lift?
              I would stop when fully articulated and check out the bump stop locations wrt the axles and shocks. I've got 1/2-3/4" of shock rod left at static articulation and the bump stops are resting on the axle. You want a little shock rod left when you compress the bump stop at some speed as it'll collapsed more than static.
              If rather than add a body lift (though small), I would add bump stop risers to eliminate any rubbing, unless you want to go to a taller tire. Adding the bl will help with that.
              Mike
              Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Originally posted by 08_2000_tj
                What tire width and wheel backspacing are you currently running?
                Do you happen to know where your rubbing is coming from?

Comment

Why are all the pictures deleted or moved?

Comment

Because the thread's 5 years old? :-)

Comment

True, but the info is still valid...and I love pictures

Comment

Pics are probably reorganized into other subfolders in my photobucket account or I deleted them to get more 'free' room to store more recent pics.

The pics may be gone or not, but read over the description as it's probably more relevant.

Though, if you show up to a meeting, I'll bring my TJ as it hasn't changed much in the 5 yrs.
                        Mike
                        Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

seems this write up applies to more that just the TJ

Comment

Originally posted by jagular7 View Post
                            Pics are probably reorganized into other subfolders in my photobucket account or I deleted them to get more 'free' room to store more recent pics.

The pics may be gone or not, but read over the description as it's probably more relevant.

Though, if you show up to a meeting, I'll bring my TJ as it hasn't changed much in the 5 yrs.
                            Sweet I will try to do that. I'm in the process of upgrading to hi line fenders, comp cut rear and 37's w/ double beadlocks too.

Comment

Working...
                            X