Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name this GIZMO

So, do you know what this is and why I made it? :lol:

Its a case spreader. You made it b/c they cost a ton. You want to make me one?

Comment

You are correct! I had to add a part to the side that is flat stock because it was not stiff enough - but works good. That is 2" angle, 2" strap, and two gate hinge pins from the farm store. 8)

Here tis in use:

Comment

Tim

Give me a lesson on the purpose and function. I have lots of mechanical experience on other things, but practically none on differentials.

Glen

Comment

Sorry Glen - did not see your reply until now.

The spreader is used to spread the dana cases while installing or removing the carrier. Dana cases require a lot of side bearing pre-load and a case spreader is needed to get it. I have done many many installs using a big deadblow hammer to drive the carrier in place and not had any trouble with it. The older style ARB's need the pre-load to stay together evidently - so are more critical in the pre-load. If you buy aftermarker R+P sets the installation instruction will talk about the case spreader, and I've seen it in service manuals. But, my jeep manual does not mention it at all. Most tool vendors do not know what a case spreader is. Kinda funny tool I guess. Here's a commercially made one:
          http://www.ring-pinion.com/downloads...ngspreader.pdf

Comment

Working...
          X