98 Wrangler Transmission Slipping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 Wrangler Transmission Slipping

I have a 98 Wrangler and my transmission has been slipping mostly on turns and on hills. ussally after it has been running for 20 mins or so it stop unless i take a sharp turn. I dont have the money to replace the whole transmission what could i do to fix it or what could cuase this.

I'm not sure is it a auto or manual trans? If it was an auto when was the last time you just flushed out the the trans. I had a neighbor sell me his Grand Cherokee with 130K on it. The dealership said the trans was toast because it would slip so bad you couldn't even go up a hill when it was warm.

He knew I was building my Jeep and offered to sell it to me for parts because he was tired of throwing money at it and the trade in value was nothing, but a couple hundred dollars for scrap.

He sold it to me and I went to Jiffy Lube (I'm not promoting) and had them do the trans flush I drove this Cherokee for over 20K to just over 150K miles and sold it running great to buy my Subaru. The Cherokee is still driving fine on the old trans.

Sometimes fluids just break down and or filters get clogged and that flush seemed to do the trick... I just think because you stated it runs fine while cold and when hot has issues that is why I lean this way.
    Alan

Comment

it is a auto and it has around 101k miles on it an di dont know when was the last time it was flushed i got this car from my parents. how much would it cost to have it flushed.

Comment

I really can't remember cost because it has been a while ago. I would just stop in and ask, but I wouldn't talk about the slippage problem prior because in my experience if you bring up problems they often will sell you the world or do a half *****ed job. II would also see if they can replace trans filter.

I can't say this will fix the problem, but for around a $100 or less it worth a shot!!!

Good luck
        Alan

Comment

thanks. also is this something anyone could do i have some people in the family that are really good with cars.

Comment

another thing i forgot to add was it only slips when i stop or slow down to 1-6mph then when i give it gas the rpms will go to about 2k then it goes into gear so im wondering if it a first gear thing.

Comment

I am just basing my thoughts on it running good (non Slipping) when cold and not when hot. I just like the way Jiffy Lube filters out the fluid through this pumping process while the car is running and really seems to clean all the junk out that my be missed when not under any pressure but just draining and it goes through the Torque Converter too.

I am only saying Jiffy Lube because it worked for me and I was very surprised to say the least. It did make sense to me after Isaw them hook it ip and run it through and came out witha trans that worked.

In your case it may not work, but then again it could!!! It is different looking at face to face Vs. diagnosis over the computer, but for the low it cost and not having a clue when if any service was done it may be a cheap fix and at least you could rule it out!!!

Comment

yeah ill probably give them a call to see how much it is. I might take it to a transmissoin shop to see what they think the problem is.

Comment

First - quit driving it until you fix the issue - if you continue and it *was* something simple like low fluid and you drive it a lot you can burn up the clutches and then it's a $1k trip to the tranny shop... All for $3 worth of ATF...

So - very first thing to do before driving it next - check your fluid (trans in park, level, running) - is it full? Red with no dark discoloration? Doesn't smell funny/burnt? If you have to add fluid - make sure it's the right type (Dextron or ATF+4 depending on what tranny you've got in it - it'll be on the dipstick or in the manual)

Originally posted by zu903
                  thanks. also is this something anyone could do i have some people in the family that are really good with cars.
                  Yes - there are 3 ways to do it...

Method 1: Drain as above, remove pan bolts and drop the pan and replace the filter, check for debris, shavings, signs of mechanical component failure. Replace pan, fill with fluid.
                  Method 2: Drop the drain bolt on the trans pan, let fluid drain out, fill with new trans fluid. Run engine and check fluid, let circulate. If you're wanting a more complete change do this 3x and on another forum someone posted the math and it got like a 9x% fluid change with that.
                  Method 3: put funnel into the trans fill/dipstick, pull the tranny cooler line to the cooler up front, point it into a big pail, get a couple of gallon containers of ATF - start engine - as it's pumping pour fluid through the dipstick trying to maintain the same rate as it's pumping out. This is similar to what jiffy-lube does.

I prefer method 1 because it's cleaner and I can inspect the contents of the pan close and the contents of the filter to get an idea if there is an overhaul in the near future...

Comment

I have to drive it its my only car and i check it all the time its in the middle of max and min. so i think changeing the fluid would be the next thing to try.

Comment

Originally posted by zu903
                      I have to drive it its my only car and i check it all the time its in the middle of max and min. so i think changeing the fluid would be the next thing to try.
                      What is the color and condition of the fluid?

The slipping you're expierencing is one of three issues - you're either losing apply pressure (pump, piston seals, etc.), your friction material is worn out (unlikely since it would do it more than those driving angles/positions) or you're experiencing a "cutloose" on downshifting where the trans essentially disengages a gear to shift into the lower gear and the lower gear doesn't engage immediately (sticky valvebody / govenor / shift solenoid)

The first and last ones could be helped significantly by a fluid flush / change and filter change and I would do that TODAY - the second one needs to have the trans torn down and the parts replaced.

Again - if you keep driving it as-is without fixing the problem I'll bet you'll be looking for a new trans sooner than later - it's just a matter of time - as that condition is indicating the friction material isn't engaging properly and slipping - in case you're not familiar with them there isn't much friction material on an automatic transmission clutch plates - they're not meant to be slipped...

Comment

thanks its been doing it since january. I posted on another forum and they said flushing it might make it worst i also might have a leak i was changeing my oil last month and i noticed there was some fluid about to drip off and i wipped it with a towle and it was red wich would be the transmission fluid right.

Comment

took it in to the shop today hope it will be something cheap. Ill post back with what they say.

Comment

they just called today and its going to need a new transmission 3rd and revers where fried.

Comment

Working...
                            X