Need YJ Axle Upgrade Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need YJ Axle Upgrade Advice

Hi, I've got a YJ I've been working on and I'm at a point where I need to decide on drivetrain upgrades. I'm only going to be running 33-35's and It will be a street and trail rig. I have a complete running chevy 350 and 3/4 ton chevy rear end. I also have a Ford 9" rear end. I really have no idea as to which way to go?? I though about leaving the motor and just throwing in a D44 up front and 9" rear or Going 350 and complete chevy drivetrain?? Any advice from personal experience would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Bud

I vote the D44 / 9" combo.

They Chevy 3/4 ton rear is likely a 12 bolt, which is strong enough. However it's not very popular and thus doesn't get a lot of aftermarket support. I also believe it is a C-clip axle, whiich means if you do break a shaft the wheel is coming off with it.

Ford 9" parts are plentiful and there are numerous upgrades available. If later you decide 37+ tires are what you want you can probably upgrade it sufficiently.

Comment

depends on the year.... do you know what axle is in the rear? count the cover bolts if there are 14 most likely its a sf14 bolt and is a heavier axle than the ford 9. if there are 12 I would go with the nine... I am a huge fan of the ford nine got one in my jeep now.... I have the sf14 in my other jeep and It has a larger diameter r&p (9.5in) and as far as I know only came in 1 spline option (33spline) I know alot of people who run 38s on the ford 9 its a great axles, can be easily shaved, and has great ground clearance but stock vs stock the other axle migh be better.

Comment

depends on the year.... do you know what axle is in the rear? count the cover bolts if there are 14 most likely its a sf14 bolt and is a heavier axle than the ford 9. if there are 12 I would go with the nine... I am a huge fan of the ford nine got one in my jeep now.... I have the sf14 in my other jeep and It has a larger diameter r&p (9.5in) and as far as I know only came in 1 spline option (33spline) I know alot of people who run 38s on the ford 9 its a great axles, can be easily shaved, and has great ground clearance but stock vs stock the other axle migh be better.

Comment

Thanks a lot! I'll check the details on them. What do you think about the ease of install? And also what is your opinion on going with a 350 vs. sticking with my 6 for a while? I'm sure a lot of it's preference but I'd love to hear some thoughts! Thanks again man!

Comment

not sure how I ended up with duplicate posts but since your leaf sprung there is no real challenge with eather, cut off the old perches and weld on the new ones... The 350 would be awesome I like it that way the best.... but ur right its all about preferance...

Comment

Working...
            X