TJ Upper Ball Joints

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ Upper Ball Joints

What is the indicator for upper ball joints needing to be replaced, other than death wobble? Anything strictly visual?

Jack it up, and grab the top and bottom of the tire and try to move it in and out. If you have play, have someone look to see if it is the top or bottom ball joint. Grabbing the front and back of the tire the checking for play indicates tie rod problems.

Comment

Mine were going bad and I noticed my Jeep would wonder a bit. The steering wheel could be turned a little without any change in direction. I did not do the:

Originally posted by yellowrubi
      Jack it up, and grab the top and bottom of the tire and try to move it in and out. If you have play, have someone look to see if it is the top or bottom ball joint. Grabbing the front and back of the tire the checking for play indicates tie rod problems.
      but this has been explained to me as the proper way to determine good or bad.

Comment

balljoints

If you are running heavy meats you may have to get a prybar and stick it under the tire you jacked up and try to lift it or move it with the bar to see balljoint slack. Usually if balljoints are bad you can see tire lean by just looking at the Jeep from the front. Also when you jack up the tire it will move as the weight is taken off it. Helps a lot if you have a second person helping so you can watch the parts as someone prys on the tire for ya.

Comment

Re: balljoints

Originally posted by ovrszd
          If you are running heavy meats you may have to get a prybar and stick it under the tire you jacked up and try to lift it or move it with the bar to see balljoint slack. Usually if balljoints are bad you can see tire lean by just looking at the Jeep from the front. Also when you jack up the tire it will move as the weight is taken off it. Helps a lot if you have a second person helping so you can watch the parts as someone prys on the tire for ya.
          Thanks - my question came from greasing them, and that the grease retainer (rubber cup) seemed to be pretty flat. I thought that I recalled some old tip that the joints compress as they wear, and an early indicator is the condition of the cup but that may be bogus. I'll put a bar under one tonight and have my wife push down on it while I watch the joint. She'll love that :roll: :lol:

Comment

Working...
          X