Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you clean fog out of headlights?? ideas???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you clean fog out of headlights?? ideas???

Anybody ever try to clean that foggy stuff out of the sealed beam headlights, after they get kinda old :?: :roll:
    I was thinking of removing them and pulling the bulbs out and swishing CLR or something around in there :roll:

Any other good ideas :roll:

Re: How do you clean sealed beam headlights?? ideas???

Originally posted by got flx
    Anybody ever try to clean that foggy stuff out of the sealed beam headlights, after they get kinda old :?: :roll:
    I was thinking of removing them and pulling the bulbs out and swishing CLR or something around in there :roll:

Any other good ideas :roll:
    good luck if they truely are sealed beam headlights

the term Sealed should give ya clue why it can't be done
    I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
    Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
    it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
    Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Well I figured I could drill a hole in the back to do it then silicone it when I am done if I had too :?
      Yes obviously they are no longer sealed so to speak

Comment

how to you plan to return it to its previous vacuum state? :?

it could be done, but I would think it cheaper to just buy a new one :roll:
        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

I am not too worried about a vacuum, obviously that's gone now if there is moisture and scum in there. Drilling a hole and swishing something around in there is darn near free compared to new headlights :?

Comment

a vacuum removes air not condensation, plus it might be some type of gas instead of a true vacuum :roll: but the lights sell for under $20.00 last time I checked if it doesn't work after you drill hole. if it does work , let me know as I might have to do the same some day LOL
            Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Where do you get lights for a 99 WJ ( grand cherokee) for 20.00 :shock:

Comment

did they still use sealed beams in 99?

I just checked O'Reilly's site and they have 7" sealed beams as low as $3.99 each. halogen for under $16.00
                Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Ok, these are not sealed beam lights that you are speaking of. This is the plastic lens and reflector with replaceable lamps. When the plastic hazes it is impossible to repair. The moisture is another problem. The sun is doing the damage to the clear plastic lens.

I recommend replacement - good used is cheaper and these are probably dealer only items for new.

Comment

WJ headlights are not sealed beam.

Which problem do you have, hazing on the front surface, or moisture inside?

For problem one, they are plastic, buff em. Mothers a headlight renewal kit, but really they should buff out.

For two - your seals are shot. Pull them, wash them in hot soapy water, put somewhere warm to dry and get new seals for the bulbs.

Comment

If you are careful Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish can help. It is advertised to remove fine scratches, cloudiness & stubborn oxidation. Just don't go wild with a power buffer or you will get the surface too hot - BTDT.

Comment

He was describing the problem as being inside, right?

Comment

Originally posted by tschafer
                          He was describing the problem as being inside, right?
                          Did not notice the "inside" reference. On my '00 the fog seemed to be inside, but was actually oxidation on the outside. PlastX obviously won't help for inside crud.

Comment

I had received a bit of training on repair of plastic windscreens for aircraft. Using a high speed buffing wheel and liquid abrasive would take care of the hazing on the outside.

You have to be VERY CAREFUL how much force you apply as this does build up heat from friction very fast and you may end up having to replace it anyway due to damage. I was not successful in repair of lenses on a Plymouth Sundance that I had. I ended up having to buy new.

You can also drill a small hole in the bottom to allow the condensed moisture to drain. What I have done here is drill the hole and then used a hair dryer to drive the moisture out of the the head lamp. This did help.

Comment

It looks like hazyness and pitts on the inside, but I guess it could be onthe inside :roll:

Comment

Working...
                              X