just wondering how it works

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just wondering how it works

a friend of mine was talking about how easy it would be to swap a driverside drop front axle into a passengerside drop. this is his explination. " you just turn it over roll the punkin back and weld your brackets on and your ready to roll" i know its not that easy but i couldnt figure it out and was hoping for some insight. wouldnt you have to get reverse cut gears? is that all though?

running an axle "upside down" would kill your pinoin bearings,as they would not get any lube, some axles that have a removable housing like the 9 inch ford and toyota axles could be done that way

Comment

Tires would run backwards. :shock:

If it was as easy as that you would see alot of people going after low pinion chevy d44 pass drop. And turning them into drivers drop high pinion.

Comment

Originally posted by white 99 tj
        Tires would run backwards. :shock:
        But man you could back up REAL fast in several gears!! :D

Comment

even if you swapped axles with a pass drop axle, you would need a pass drop transfer case, cutting of the floor board for the new TC, redo exhaust for the driveshaft, I am sure there is more. But it would not be a easy thing to do at all.

Comment

It could be cool before you burn up your gears you could do a front rear burnout and not even move!!! How cool would you be!

Comment

haha!

im getting a kick out of this these are all the things i was trying to tell him but he insisted that it would work because he's seen it done before. thanks guys now i have support to back me up i will show this to him tonight

Comment

Some of the buggy comp guys run axles backwards. They set everything up to work like that though.

Comment

Tyres would turn same direction as before(pinion maintains same rotation direction and ring moves from one side of pinion to the other,thus axle shafts turn the same as earlier), but like it was stated earlier, the pinion bearing would starve for oil and burn up lickity split. :mrgreen:
                  I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                  Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                  it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                  Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Originally posted by spunebil
                    Tyres would turn same direction as before(pinion maintains same rotation direction and ring moves from one side of pinion to the other,thus axle shafts turn the same as earlier), but like it was stated earlier, the pinion bearing would starve for oil and burn up lickity split. :mrgreen:
                    you should check it out. it will turn backwards

Comment

Originally posted by lagnaf
                      Originally posted by spunebil
                      you should check it out. it will turn backwards

I have a pair of axles at shop and tried it with the dana 30 and YES the AXLES ROTATE BACKWARDS! :roll: I learn something new every day LOL :mrgreen:
                      I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                      it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                      Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

I toyed with this idea on a sammy I worked on a couple of years ago. It will not work unless you toss alot of machine work and money at it. First problem was the tappered holes for the tie rod ends...then the vent tube that was on top, now on bottom. If you just flp it over, then it will turn "backwards", what about the steering arm? Caster, Camber, and Toe? If he has the know how and tooling and money to make it work, he most likely would not mess with it, unless he liked the idea of having something different.

Comment

Working...
                        X