5.2l into my CJ7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.2l into my CJ7

I am not real familiar with this engine and I was curious if the bolt pattern was the same. the engine is a 94 grand cherokee, the tranny is a 81 4 speed manual, mated to a 4.2 at one time...

They want $800 for the whole jeep, so it would be a great doner for all the other components, but the cj has no heart and my wife said fix it or get rid of it....

Would this be worth the time, or would it be cheaper to find an old 350 and advanced adapter it in? I really want fuel injected v8...

but I really just want to get back on the trail.... arg... the possibilities

If I understand your post, you can pick up the grand for 800 bucks, right? Is the drivetrain good? If so, then the easiest thing would be to pull the engine and tranny from the grand. That will bolt up to your t-case, and you do not have to worry about the 4 speed tranny in your 26 year old CJ holding up to a fuel injected V8.

Comment

Chances are if your 1981 CJ has a 4spd manual it is the crappy
      SR-4. The SR-4 was made my Borg-Warner, uses needle bearings
      and is prone to failure and popping out of gear. If I remember
      right, reverse is up and forward where 5th would be.

I went automatic and never looked back!

Comment

$800 buys the jeep, good engine bad tranny... What about swapping in a Novak T-18 rebuilt, I preffer thowing gears myself, so for now the auto is out of the question... unless it is the only way to go for a conversion....

Comment

You'll need to modify the bell, come up with a flywheel and pressure plate for the 5.2, and get a clutch disc matched to whatever pattern of input shaft you get (there's a couple flavors of T-18). Modifying the bell is not really hard; had to do it to my Buick bell when I did the T-18 conversion. Clutch parts are just a matter of spending time on the NAPA web site with a credit card. Probably have to source a flywheel on fleaBay or maybe LKQ. Might also look at partsmikeparts.com for T-18 sources.

Comment

Working...
          X