Replacing early TJ gas tank skid plate with late model

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing early TJ gas tank skid plate with late model

I spent the better part of the weekend replacing my gas tank skid plate. I needed to replace my stock 97 sheet metal skid plate with a late model skid plate. The late model is actually thicker and provides much better coverage. I also doubled the base thickness from another late model skid plate.

It took a while to figure out the pressure feed fuel line connector as well as the electrical connector. You really need your 2 hands up there and with the limited space laying on the ground reaching up was a little high. You push the 2 clips on the fuel connector, then pull the line off. Simple once you figure it out. The electrical connector had a safety pin to remove or pop (I removed mine). But I broke the pressure plate which lifts the snap off, so I had to finagle a screwdriver tip into it. 7 nuts and its out. The inlet hoses had to remain with the tank as the hose clamps are integral with them.

Since I’ve got a 4cyl TJ, the tank is made to limit the amount of fuel you can fill. My tank had a capacity of maybe 15 gals. Though, it’s the same tank as a 4.0l, which capacity is 19 gal. I cut the return fill line (smaller tube) using a landscaping shear.

The fill tube is with the floating ball. I can only assume the ball is to keep the fuel in when upside down.

This is a shot of the pressure breather.

Couple of other note worthy problems: The top straps broke. So I had to drill a hole and use hooks to secure the tank to the skid plate. I also had a problem getting the fuel pump to sit correct so that I could tighten the hold down clamp. There is a rubber gasket which kept the fuel pump at an angle and I couldn't screw the hold down clamp till I had this correct.
    Mike
    Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

my 2000tj with the 4.0 only holds 15

Comment

Working...
    X