06 and up DCX products cannot run without a charged battery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 06 and up DCX products cannot run without a charged battery

I learned this from the service department at OP Jeep yesterday. At idle, the alternator does generate enough juice for the engine to run, and it pulls from the battery. If the battery is low, it will set off error codes and die. However, you will have enough juice to re-start, but then of course it will die again.

We learned this with the Commander, because it had enough juice to turn over, it would not run. Jumped fine from the truck.

Is this just the Commander or all the 06 jeeps...if it is all of them then maybe the Rubi won't be the juke box when were I'm out and about.

Comment

My understanding is it is coming to all DCX products, but is dependent on the engine computer. I think all TJ and LJ are under the older OBD system and should be fine. But the JK, and every other Jeep product are this way.

Comment

Thought the rubicon had a heavier duty alternator???

Sounds like they'll be a market for high-amp alternators that can put out some current at idle... (i.e. most of the good high-amp ones targeted at car stero market...) heck it almost sounds like they're under-driving the alternator to "save fuel" or reduce load at idle something silly like that...

Comment

How long do you have to let it idle before it does this? Just curious so I don't kill any cars while washing them. Also I think chevy cobalt's have a similar issue.

Comment

I have no idea. According to the DCX tech, at idle, under load, the battery is discharging. I would think it would take a while to drain it down. The problem seems to be more the other way, when you jump a car with a low battery, you are actually making it worse by letting the car idel after you jump it.

Comment

Working...
            X