Hands-on Help with 8.8 Swap, Re-gear and Lock

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hands-on Help with 8.8 Swap, Re-gear and Lock

Hey guys. I'm trying to decide if I want to take on an 8.8 swap into my 4 banger YJ myself or hire it out. I think I've decided to go ahead and re-gear and lock front and back at the same time since the 8.8 is already out.

I picked the 8.8 up from a forum post earlier this week. It is from a 97-ish Explorer and has LSD and 4.10s in it.

It's going into a 95 4banger YJ on 33s. I plan to eventually do a 350 swap. I figured instead of doing the whole swap at the same time I'd just get the weak D35 out of the equation for now. The rest of the swap can come later. In the meantime, though, I'd like to get 5th gear back. I'd like to gear front and back as low as I can get away with and since I'll be in there I figure now is the time to lock them up.

The problem is I've never done a re-gear. That typically wouldn't stop me but I know my inexperience in this one could cost me ANOTHER re-gear in the near future.

Is there anyone near Olathe who would be willing to hold my hand through the install? I have a pretty well equipped shop in the garage with AC/DC ARC, TIG, air, cutting torch and (obviously) hand tools. I'd be willing to pay for your time since I'm considering paying for the whole job anyways! I'd like to keep costs under control. But I'd REALLY like to do most of the work just to get the experience.

Thanks in advance.

--Casey

Wish I could help, but modifying internal components inside a sealed piece of equipment (ie: motor, diff, tranny) is where I typically draw the line & hire it out. Tcases are an exception since they're a bit easier. I'll sometimes pull the equipment out & give it to a shop to work on & still save money that way, but to me & my level of mechanical knowledge, it's not worth the risk given what CAN go wrong if everything isn't 100% perfect, & usually needs to be given the amount of stress, heat, & movement involved.

If I was to contribute something to this, I'd say youtube, google, & other online tools might be helpful with this, but nothing beats an expert next to you walking you through. If you're familiar with Extreme offroad (the TV show, now called something a bit different) they've done gear swaps a time or 2 before. You can probably find one of those episodes & follow along with that too. Best looking for it through Spike TV's website or get lucky & DVR it if you catch one. Try this...

http://www.powerblocktv.com/episode/...-part-8-payoff

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I think I've decided to hire the job out. The guys out at Gears Unlimited in Independence gave me a **** of a price to prep and install the axle, gear front and back down to 4.88 and install cable actuated Ox lockers front and back. Going to get taxes done tonight to make sure I don't owe Uncle Sammy anything...but I can't wait to get this rig back out on the trails!

Comment

Working...
      X