Leaf spring warped

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaf spring warped

Has anyone ever had this issue? SOA with 1.5" RE leaf springs. I noticed it after wheelin at the Quarry 2 weeks ago.
    Attached Files

Happened to a set of stock YJ springs I had once. Was caused by jamming the shackle end into a rock.

Comment

Its a result of an impact to the leaf spring shackle (like Tommy's suggestion), but can be also for the impact of the front tire or that side of the axle too.

FYI, there is a set of 1.5" RE's front on CL for $160.

This is what I have on my stock YJ with the curb feelers. It came that way, I didn't do it.
      Mike
      Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Originally posted by TommyG
        Happened to a set of stock YJ springs I had once. Was caused by jamming the shackle end into a rock.
        Now that you mention it, I do recall driving through a creek & not having quite the best approach angle......oops. Well, I have some clamps on it. Gonna try to press it in place or maybe use the help of the BFH to convince it to go back into place. If not, I guess the next step is to take it off & work it in place.

Thanks for the input!

Comment

It's spring steel meaning that it was heated and cooled into the tension and function of a spring. Using clamps or a hammer won't have any effect on it. There is a spring mfr in Olathe ( kc spring or something like that) that could give you an idea on what to do.
          Mike
          Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Originally posted by jagular7 View Post
            It's spring steel meaning that it was heated and cooled into the tension and function of a spring. Using clamps or a hammer won't have any effect on it. There is a spring mfr in Olathe ( kc spring or something like that) that could give you an idea on what to do.
            I DISAGREE MIKE !
            Yes it is spring steel, but if hammer has no effect on it, then how did it get bent out of shape ? .......:)
            I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
            Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
            it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
            Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

My understanding is that the springs would need to be heated and rebent. I think its not something you can do at home with a torch either. IIRC its about $300-400?

I had my leaf springs bend like that twice on my Toyota Tacoma with a 4.5" All-Pro spring. The first time, I had removed a leaf or two from the spring pack, bound up the tire in a hole and bent the spring really good. Second time, I attributed to binding again, but it wasn't as bad, bought a new axle shaft as well. Tacoma's are IFS front, solid axle rear and I never did hit the spring shackles or the rear bumper on what we were wheeling.

Since then, I have come to appreciate a military wrap design and doubt I would buy another slinky/ flexible spring pack UNLESS it came with a milatary wrap. The 6-7 leaf spring packs flex GREAT but don't take the torque like the factory leafs. Another idea would be to install an anti-wrap bar. That was where I was headed with my Tacoma when I sold it to buy a toter and a Jeep. LOL

Wally

Comment

I had some springs built at kc spring down on 16th st? Anyway, I was watching them make some custom srings for another customer by useing a hydraulic break ( steel bending machine) We have a hyd. Break down at shop, 80 ton? Anyway, if you replace spring, or would like to at least try straighten or remove kink, let me know.
                Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

It's axle wrap caused by axle drop and pressure the drivetrain places on the springs.

Comment

Originally posted by millertime View Post
                    It's axle wrap caused by axle drop and pressure the drivetrain places on the springs.
                    Its bent the wrong direction ! ;) .... that is.... unless he in reverse when it happened ! :)
                    Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Originally posted by spunebil View Post
                      Its bent the wrong direction ! ;) .... that is.... unless he in reverse when it happened ! :)
                      I beg to differ. I can't post pictures here. Axle wrap occurs with severe changes in the pinion angle ESP. in SOA applications with SUA springs.
                      Do your homework here.

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/axlewrap/

Comment

Originally posted by millertime View Post
                        I beg to differ. I can't post pictures here. Axle wrap occurs with severe changes in the pinion angle ESP. in SOA applications with SUA springs.
                        Do your homework here.

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/axlewrap/
                        You may be right, its bent up, and I remember slapper bars, so That would be up for a spring under setup, and....... perhaps same inspring over ! ......ohwell....... hand me another beer ! ;)
                        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

It shouldn't be axle wrap. I have a ladder bar & didn't get on the throttle that hard. Not only that, but on the dirt I wouldn't get that much traction to cause that kind of damage. I've driven her much harder than I did that day. Its gotta be from dropping down at some funny angle.

Comment

Working...
                          X