Top hardware question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top hardware question

Does anyone have any suggestions for mounting a hardtop and softtop hardware on a 95 YJ so it doesn't strip out more & more every year. The screws I have are getting bigger every year as they strip out.

This looks like it'll help for the hardtop, but doesn't help with the soft.
    http://www.quadratec.com/products/13022_102.htm

There's also this, but i think this is primarily to quickly change out tops. i change tops once a year and barely ever have the softtop on in the summer anyway, so not a big deal. Just tired of getting bigger screws all the time.
    http://www.quadratec.com/products/13022_00.htm

No, I don't have access to a welder to fab up my own hardware. Could I try the first link for the hardtop and drill the holes all the way through my windshield frame for the softtop. Basically, instead of installing the screws through the channel to the windshield, I'd use long bolts that go all the way through the channel & windshield frame to a lock washer/nut on the other side just behind the windshield. Or is there anything in that frame that I shouldn't mess with. I'd assume it's an open frame inside, but not sure if there's anything inside securing the windshield.

I would suggest using a "rivnut". Once installed you can use standard bolts and never worry about stripping them out again. Put rivnut into google if you are unsure of what I am talking about. Should be cheap and easy.
    2006 LJ Rubicon

Comment

I used nut serts, "Nuts Bolts" has them. It sounds like the same thing as a "rivnut".

Wally

Comment

Get rid of hard top, what ya need it for anyway ? I been soft topping for several years now ! Never felt need for a hardtop ! ;)
        And this is daily driver, as I only have a motorcycle for sunny days ;)
        I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
        it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
        Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

It came originally with softop only & was a DD. Since then, I bought a hardtop and use it in the winter only. I agree with it not being needed, that's what i did the first 2 years i had mine. heater works plenty well. tried to sell the hardtop a few times, but no one ever wants one & has some damage from rolling it so won't get much $ for it. It is nice having a solid top. Looks good & helps the stereo.

Regarding the rivnuts, thanks! I'll check out nus n bolts after I take the top of to see what size i need.

Comment

Besides being able to use threaded bolts, if you strip the threads, you can grind the head of the nut sert off, and install a new one. Nuts and Bolts has several sizes both standard and metric, aluminum and steel. The steel ones are more durable than the aluminum ones. I have used both aluminum and steel.

Wally

Comment

I have a amp for radio so even topless at top speed ( gps verified 70 mph, down hill with Strong tail wind ) its acceptably Loud ! ;)
              I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
              Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
              it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
              Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Working...
              X