Sputtering jeep

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sputtering jeep

She's been sputtering mostly in 3rd or 4th gear. Usually when I get heavy on the gas. Sputters out like a sensor or fuel delivery issue. Just replaced my fuel filter about a year ago, so that SHOULD be fine, but not much for a new filter so I'm gonna replace the lines & the filter. Had issues with the ends on the old filter. had some rot at the end, thus why i'm gonna replace the lines. Prob gonna run lucas fuel additive to take care of whatever else may be there. Gonna check my pump by turning the key with the line disconnected to see if i get any fuel. Really hope i don't have a fuel pump issue and don't want to find out it doesn't work the hard way.

If that doesn't do it, it would have to be a sensor. I would assume the tps, o2, or cps. The tps gave me issues before since it was coming lose since the clip broke. A I "Red Green'd" it with some good ol duct tape. Also, i just replaced my exhaust and when I did, I cleaned off my o2 sensor with some electrical circuit cleaner spray & wiped it down. Is there anyway to trouble shoot any of these things before I start shelling out $$$ on replacement parts?

Oh ya. And the speedometer has been going crazy. After I changed out my suspension and taking it on the highway, the speedometer started flying all over the place. At first it sputtered within 20 mph+/- of my actual speed. Now, driving 10 mph, it will fly all over the place up to 100mph. I took the speedo gear out, hooked it up to a power drill & tested it. Speedometer ran fine. So i rotated it 90 degrees to see if it wasn't lining up right. Worked for a while, but after going on the highway, it went crazy again. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by mujeeper; 03-03-2012, 10:17 PM.

I have a similar problem when starting up and a few minutes after warming up I try to go to first and second gear and it sputters a little bit, moreso in 1st than 2nd. My gas light works about half the time as well if that's got anything to do with it, might be the sending unit but haven't checked into it.

Comment

Working...
    X