TJ 2.5 Alternator upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ 2.5 Alternator upgrade

Anyone know what (if any) alternator would be an easy "bolt on" replacement? I have a stock alternator which I believe is 70 amp and I want to bump it up due to my new sound system

My amp is pulling 1800 watts and the lights dim like crazy when I'm cruising around

Not 100% sure if it's the 70 amp but what's the biggest upgrade that would bolt on without going overboard

Hate to break it to you but I highly doubt your amp is pulling 1800 watts. At best it might be pulling 60-80 amps of current and maybe output of 800 watts, depending on brand. You can fix alot of your problem by simply upgraing your wires (battery and alt.)to all 4ga., putting your grounds in the proper locations and as short as possible. There are other things as well but I would talk about this stuff more privately rather than out in public, sound systems go away very easily (theft) especially in a Jeep,and I wouldn't advertise all the stuff in it. feel free to PM me for further ideas and upgrades
    Chris

Comment

messaged you

Comment

I replaced me stock (70?) Amp alternator with a 80/140 amp one ;)
        It puts out more amps at low rpm than stock did at max (80 to stock 70) and puts out a min. Of 140 max, I had O riellys test it and mine puts oit like 90 at idle and 163 ( or so) max :)
        Got it from quadratec for like $160.00 , itz a powermaster,
        I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
        it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
        Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

does it bolt on to the original bracket to a 2.5?

Comment

I'd look at an armature place. They rebuild alternators with your case. If you can cross reference the case number, you may find another direct replacement that completing bolts in. I'm in Lenexa, so I go to Olathe Armature. I'll check my TJ file to see if I already did that.
            There are other forums with specific to TJs out there. jeepforum, jeepunlimited, and 4bngrjp.com for the 4cyl....

Edit: Yep, 7/15/07 $135 for #13746.....whatever that is. I know its more than the stock 81A. Olathe Armature 913-780-3344.
            Last edited by jagular7; 02-29-2012, 08:23 PM.
            Mike
            Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Originally posted by jagular7 View Post
              I'd look at an armature place. They rebuild alternators with your case. If you can cross reference the case number, you may find another direct replacement that completing bolts in. I'm in Lenexa, so I go to Olathe Armature. I'll check my TJ file to see if I already did that.
              There are other forums with specific to TJs out there. jeepforum, jeepunlimited, and 4bngrjp.com for the 4cyl....

Edit: Yep, 7/15/07 $135 for #13746.....whatever that is. I know its more than the stock 81A. Olathe Armature 913-780-3344.
              Thanks for the info, I might not need it after fixing my wiring. my lights don't dim as bad and I'm not having battery issues. My alternator might go out in a few years then I'll replace it with a larger one unless I find something cheap

Comment

My brother has a large sound system and his car has a 150+ amp alternator, he STILL has 4+ deep cycle batteries where the spare tire goes. I don't know how big it is, but I think its in the 3000 amp type range.

"Streeters" on 23rd Street in Independence (between Noland and Lee's Summit roads) can rebuild and upgrade your alternator IIRC the max output on 60-70 amp alternators is about 100-105 amps.

Don't bother with an O'Reilly's type rebuilt alternator. Once you see what they put in them verses what a place like "Streeters" puts in theirs you will understand why rebuilt ones don't last half as long as the OEM, or a 1/4 as long as a good alternator/ starter rebuild shop can do.

Wally

Comment

The best fix is a smaller stereo. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Jdlefebure View Post
                    does it bolt on to the original bracket to a 2.5?
                    It does for Yj, not.sure about tj or cj ;)
                    Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                      The best fix is a smaller stereo. :)
                      What's a small stereo? Take a ride in my jeep ;)

Comment

LOL to each his own on the stereo stuff.

My younger brother is kind of a audiophile higher end stereo component kind of guy. Used to compete and all that. I asked him if he had any cheap head units or speakers sitting around. Initially, he was trying to talk me into 2 large 500+ watt subwoofers and high end head units and all that.....

I explained it like this.

I take my junk out in the mud, I take it out in the rocks, it gets wet inside, there are vibrations, and poundings from wheeling that destroys electronics.

I have already busted two head units and a CB from the rigors of wheeling in the last three years. PLUS I need the space for tools and recovery gear.

Wally

Comment

I took my back seat out, won't need it for a while :) It's a kid thing, not a Jeep thing ;)

Comment

I run a jvc srereo $100.00, jc whitney speakers, etc. !
                            Having just a soft top I dont want to temp some Punk to Steal it!
                            :)
                            And if a really stupid punk steals it, I am not out any real coin ;)
                            Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

My younger brother is 38 years old, has always enjoyed the bumping stereo system.

When he was in high school he had a baby blue Chevy Chevette, with four 15" high end sub woofers in a custom enclosure, along with a bunch of stuff. He vibrated his rear view mirror off, his antenna and front bumper that I can remember.

I asked him last night exactly how big his current stereo system is. He says it draws 350 amps, the subwoofers draw over 3000 watts, the total system pulls around 5000 watts at 2 ohms.

Its your Jeep, so have fun with it!

Wally

Originally posted by Jdlefebure View Post
                              I took my back seat out, won't need it for a while :) It's a kid thing, not a Jeep thing ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X