88 yj five speed making noise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 yj five speed making noise?

ok so little brother just bought a 88 yj and as we were driving it home we noticed a noise coming from around the trans. kinda sounds like marbles in a coffe can but only when coasting with the clutch in. if we push the shifter against first or second it does go away though. any ideas?

your throw out bearing is going out.

Comment

Originally posted by t-rav_12 View Post
      your throw out bearing is going out.
      I'd agree on that diagnosis. Either way, you'll have to pull that all out to know. While you're replacing that, may as well as resurface flywheel, replace pilot bearing (if you can get it out, mine is WAY stuck & gave up), & inspect clutch. It's not that complicated, just time consuming. I've done it several times on mine for many different reasons.

Comment

I would say you have a problem in the one synchro or intermediate bearing between input and main shaft in the trans. Is it peugot? If so throw it away and find a AX15.
        4x4LAND.com
        Mike
        Knowledge is priceless

Comment

pretty sure its an ax the fill plug is half way up on the pass side. some one has changed the slave cylinder i think. there is something sticking out of the bellhousing on the pass side. but its not connected. any markings that would tell weather its a peugot or ax

Comment

look here http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/ax15.htm for some help in finding out what you have http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/ba10_5.htm the frist is the 15
            KB0ZNR
            05 LJ, Chevy LSS, 241OR, Mutt long arm, OBA, AEV High Line, Full cage, 35s tube steps and bumpers, 31.5 gal fuel tank

Comment

if it isn't i have a ax15 that I'll give you that i know nothing about. I will want to wait until i get my transmission rebuilt just in case i need some parts. That should be next week.

Comment

Working...
              X