Need some help with LED lights on a TJ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help with LED lights on a TJ

Trying to fix some issues on a friends TJ and have become completely stumped on the rear lights and can't find much on the net and was hoping someone on here might be able to help.

Using two wire LED's (dim & bright) and hooking it up to the factory three wire (turn, brake, tail) I've already modded the flasher so it doesn't fast flash. I have tried using a trailer wiring converter (specifically for this situation i thought) and it has no brake lights and the turn signals only work when the brakes are pressed. So trying to hook it up straight by conecting the brake and turn together it stops flashing when the brake is pressed, even tried with a couple diodes. with out going crazy with a bunch of relays and way over complicating things...I'm stumped.

Any ideas?

Nobody has LED's on their TJ :-|

Comment

This might be helpful:tag you're it, hope it's what you need.
      There is also this one on the same site:no tag you're it!, they both deal with 3 wire LEDs but they might have some useful info.
      Last edited by Grumpy Dwarf; 12-13-2011, 07:37 AM.
      sigpic
      Reed Brunk, You can have joy like mine too! It's a Jeep thing again!
      99TJ: 4:88s, 8.8 with OX Locker, 36 TSLs, Homemade mid-arm rear 4 link and front 3 link suspension, Over the knuckle Chevy Tie-rod end steering, AW4 auto tranny swap, and lots of dents and dings!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Dwarf View Post
        This might be helpful:tag you're it, hope it's what you need.
        There is also this one on the same site:no tag you're it!, they both deal with 3 wire LEDs but they might have some useful info.
        Yeah I've looked through that site and nothing seems to address the 4-wire issue...going to try a different flasher relay and see if that helps, but I have my doubts.

Comment

Thr TJ uses 3 wires, stop/turn runnning and Backup they are VT/BK=backup, BK/YL=running, Lt turn/stop= DG/RD and Rt turn/stop= BR/RD the ground is to the tub at the lamp mount
          KB0ZNR
          05 LJ, Chevy LSS, 241OR, Mutt long arm, OBA, AEV High Line, Full cage, 35s tube steps and bumpers, 31.5 gal fuel tank

Comment

This one has 4. The ones you listed, but it has a seperate Wht/Brn brake wire and the turns don't work with the brake. When those wires are all connected together it doesn't flash when the brake is applied.

I have another TJ in the shop with factory rear lights. I'll have to pull one out and see what it has.

Comment

what year is it
              KB0ZNR
              05 LJ, Chevy LSS, 241OR, Mutt long arm, OBA, AEV High Line, Full cage, 35s tube steps and bumpers, 31.5 gal fuel tank

Comment

Originally posted by Eatrocks View Post
                what year is it
                98 .

Comment

strange. my 05 has 3 wires. easy peasy.

Comment

strange the book shows 98 with the normail trail lights on the back even the export model has the same wires though it does use a diffrent bulb for the turn lamp
                    KB0ZNR

Comment

The 98 has a different amount of pins on the flasher relay than the newer ones. I can't remember what year they made the change.

Comment

I tried the relay modification on mine and it did not work for me. So I purchased this flasher relay from Advanced Auto:

For the front I used the following links for good info to set up my rectifier:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/m...3/#post4026093
                        http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/ph...&sd=a&start=25

The back of my 98 is set up on 3 wire if I recall correctly and I just used 3 wire LED lights for stop/tail/turn. My corner markers in the back are two wire and are currently only wired to come on full brightness with the headlights. I may modify them to run dim and then flash at full brightness someday, but it is not at the top of the list. Since I added the EP-26 flasher and did the rectifier it all works great!

Comment

not to hijack the thread...

but I can't get my front turn signals to work...they are the old round ones...on a 97...modified to fit below headlights because I have flat fenders...they work when turning but not on reg lights or parking lights...yes the bulbs are good...

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerJeepMan View Post
                            not to hijack the thread...

but I can't get my front turn signals to work...they are the old round ones...on a 97...modified to fit below headlights because I have flat fenders...they work when turning but not on reg lights or parking lights...yes the bulbs are good...
                            Pic so its easier to see what you said ;)
                            I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                            Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                            it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                            Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Working...
                            X