Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shocks

Hey all...
    quick question...I have the 97 white/red TJ haven't been to a meeting in awhile...personal stuff..

anyways..want new shocks.

I BELIEVE (bought jeep from bro a few yrs back..) I have a 8 in lift from skyjacker (Generation I) with a 1" body...

I moved the rear shock mounts to inside the frame rail..( not sure if folks here have seen that) anyways...I tried finding numbers on the shocks..nothing.

I read in Jeep Forum to measure shock on flat drive, then double and that is your shock length...? yes no?

Thanks
    Grant

Ah, no!

Since you have a TJ, remove coil opposite side of the track bar axle mount. This gives less binding. Compress axle till bump stop stops the compression or the tire hits the sheetmetal. Measure you shock for full compression. This is static compression. Subtract .75-1" for dynamic compression. If you need bump stops or risers to keep tire off the metal, use block of wood, plywood, whatever you can get to sit on the axle at the bump stop. You'll need to add this as well with your new shocks.

I wouldn't worry about the road ride height too much. Or the droop. After shocks are put in, articulate it at a ramp or industrial park, etc. Look at your front brake lines to make sure they are not taught. Also, turn full lock so that the caliper goes away from the frame. You'll need all the brake line up front. Rear brake line follows the upper control arm so lengthen the arm, lengthen the line.

For example, I have 13" up front and 12" shock in back. I have 1.5" compression in back and 3.5" up front. I use 1" bump stop riser and 1" longer bump stops in rear. The front has ACOS so I don't know how its bump stop relates to a stock location, but I use 3" bump stop risers. I'm on my second set of bump stops in the rear and my fronts are getting soft as my tires now are rubbing the fender under the flare.
    Last edited by jagular7; 10-13-2011, 04:56 PM.
    Mike
    Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

wow....ok....thanks Mike...sounds a bit daunting but I'll try it!

Grant

Comment

You are always full of helpful info Mike!

Comment

Working...
        X