Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone ever upgraded to a 700r4 transmission?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone ever upgraded to a 700r4 transmission?

my trany is about to go, so instead of fixing the three spead i thought it would be better to just go for a four speed. does anyone have experience doing the swap and adapting it to the 4.0? my other option is to go straight into a 350 motor/700r4 trany but i don't know whick one would be the best... input would be appreciated, thanks, Eric

No but is say if you get one, be sure to do plenty of measurements, prob need diff linkage and driveshafts

Comment

Replied in the other discussion. I would research the swap on other specific Jeep forums out there. Jeepforum, jeepsunlimited,rubicon owners forum (ROF), pirate4x4, etc.

The 700R4 is a GM 4-sp od auto. I don't think it will directly bolt up to your 4.0l. The AW4 is the Jeep 4-sp od trans that you may want to research. It does require an interface computer to the ECU. The shifter pattern is different and the gates work differently. See my other reply.
      Mike
      Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Hey Eric, Novak Conversions makes an adapter kit for putting a 700R4 into a jeep. I believe it will make the transmission a little longer but I am not sure by how much. I did the AW4 conversion that Mike is talking about in my TJ after the 3-sp auto in it went out and it works well even though it is not the best OD auto tranny out there but it was the cheapest route for me to take at the time and money was kind of a major factor for me. The AW4s are almost to long but they will work, you just have to have a really short rear DS and you have to lengthen the front DS. The 700r4 will either be just slightly shorter than the AW4 or about the same length depending on the width of the adapter kit most likely so you will have to do the same thing with your DSs as I did. Of course it also depends on the axle you have as well, mines an Explorer 8.8 which has a little longer pinion than the D35 that was in it. I'm not sure about the D44s if that is what you have. If I had the money and was going to do it all over again I would probably go the 700r4 route but I am very satisfied with my AW4 and have no complaints about it.
        sigpic
        Reed Brunk, You can have joy like mine too! It's a Jeep thing again!
        99TJ: 4:88s, 8.8 with OX Locker, 36 TSLs, Homemade mid-arm rear 4 link and front 3 link suspension, Over the knuckle Chevy Tie-rod end steering, AW4 auto tranny swap, and lots of dents and dings!

Comment

ya i have researched it for a while, advanced adapters makes an adapter for the engine to tranny and it comes out to be about the same length as the original with first gear being lower than the original and so on... i just didn't know if anyone in kc had tried it before... it just doesn't make sence for me to not upgrade when it costs so much to rebuild the three speed. if anyone knows where i can find one attached to a 350 that would be great and then i don't have to redo it again in a few years...lol...

Comment

You dont say what year your Jeep is and that maters as to what crank senser is being used. Both Novak and AA make what you need to install the 700R4 But both ends of the tranny will need adapters and that costly. most of the time you dont have to change the drive shafts but you may as well.
            KB0ZNR
            05 LJ, Chevy LSS, 241OR, Mutt long arm, OBA, AEV High Line, Full cage, 35s tube steps and bumpers, 31.5 gal fuel tank

Comment

Working...
            X