Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone done the Dodge Master Cylinder swap?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone done the Dodge Master Cylinder swap?

Having some brake issues after upgrading to one tons. Has anyone done the Dodge MC on their TJ?

Thanks!

I did that on my last TJ.
    Hi

Comment

Is there any way that you could help me with the details? Year of MC I need, what other parts I need (if any), do I have to adjust the rod (plunger)?

Thank you VERY much for any advice!

Bud

Comment

I bought a new one at Auto Zone. Part number is NM 3060 for a 2000 Dodge Ram 3500. It bolted right up with plenty of clearance. I extended the push rod with the 1/4x28 bolt. I chopped the head off and rounded the end. My new MC came with a new res and a bleeder kit!:grinpimp: I can bench bleed the MC now without a mess!!

and I have tons of clearance up to the hood.

Hi

Comment

Pretty good thread about it here:

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=677082
          Hi

Comment

There you go, Bud!

I had a feeling Andy would chime in!

Comment

I tried a MC upgrade last winter and turned out that I was better off with what I had than the upgrade.

http://www.kcjeepclub.org/forum/show...-Cylinder-swap

The issue was that my YJ came with a vacuum actuated brake booster (did i say that right?....). The older YJ's did not which is what threw me off. After installing the MC from a 78 grand marquis, I noticed there was no seal and thus no braking. I ended up putting the original back on and adjusted the pushrod.

Not sure what you have, but if it is vacuum actuated, make sure that you leave enough pedal for braking. If you have it set to where you like it sitting in the driveway, you have the rod too long. Driving on the road will build pressure on the system and tighted this. Even knowing this, I had the brakes to where I thought they should be and I found myself flooring it in 2nd gear to get home.

From the picture you posted, it looks like you DO have a vacuum booster. You may want to try adjusting the rod and use your stock MC, to see if that works.

Comment

Working...
              X