Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on rear bumper / tire carrier for YJ

Hey all,

Just looking for some input on a good tire carrier for a YJ. I'm on my second set of hinges, and 3rd tailgate now, and I'd rather not replace them again. So, I'm looking for something beefy.

I am looking at the Rock Hard, Body Armor 4x4, Protofab 4x4 , and Hanson models. The Hanson being the noticably most expensive, but with additional frame tie-in brackets and some nice options to expand (racks, etc.).

The Protofab 4x4 is a beefy bumper, but, comes unfinished. It does come with a nice frame tie-in bracket...but, has to be modified to clear the leaf spring shackles.

The Body Armor 4x4 seems to have good reviews, but I am unsure of the frame tie-ins, can fit jerry gas cans as is, but probably sticks out too far to be practicle....

The Rock Hard 4x4 seems to be well reviwed, has good options for frame tie-ins, good expansion options, and a heck of a lot cheaper than the Hanson.

Any thoughts / general advice on these or other models? As NONE of them are exactly cheap, any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated!

...I should mention it's a 94, and should fit most TJ bumpers.

Comment

I've wheeled HARD with my LoD for ~3-4 years now, with no issues on the bumper. I popped the bearing off once (my fault) - just re-seated it and re-greased when I got home and it's been fine. I bent the tail gate in about 4" - my fault again, but no damage to the bumper or tire carrier.

Comment

Look into the trail-gear... very pleased with mine.
        Last edited by diabloed; 05-04-2011, 05:06 AM.

Comment

what size tyre ya running ?

I run 32" 34" LTB's on a stock YJ tailgate holder and have Zero trouble with the hinge or tailgate and have wheeled four times, plus I drive it everyday as it is me daily driver too !

course I replaced the short rubber bumpers that came on tailgate with some that are twice as long (I have less backspacing with me soft 8's)

got the bumpers used from a member so dont know where he got them (maybe a diff. year yj ? ) , but google should find it . ;-)
          I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
          Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
          it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
          Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Huh....not a bab price on the LoD. Is there provisions to attach to the side of the frame, or am I just being paranoid? Having the YJ allows me a couple of extra stock bolt holes to the cross member I suspose. How did you bash in the tailgate and not the bumper????? Will it take that kind of abuse?

Spune - I am just running 33's. I bashed in my rear tailgate, then the compounding of the tire baning around did it in finally......

Comment

You can add frame tie-ins. I think rockmen sells a good set for about $15-20. Mine has 2 1/4" steel "tabs" that go below the frame rail, and you put a bolt through those, so they're bolted to the cross member with 4 bolts, and the frame with one on each side. the side frame tie-ins are better, IMO.

I suspect it was a combination of torquing the cross member and flexing the swing-out post/bushing. The bumper didn't move, but the top of the carrier pushed against the "bump stops" on the tailgate, and mashed it in. I fixed it with a 2x4 and the hi-lift. *shrug*

Comment

So, there's nothing on the bumper to prevent the carrier from moving foward? Or, was it just a combinaion of flex and the loose bearing?

Comment

bearing isn't loose. it just flexed when 4,500# of jeep smacked into a creek wall. i was hammering it in 4th on that slick clay hill just to the right of the lower entrance to sluice creek(?) at Tuttle. made it up about 3/4 of the way to the top with the rev limiter banging. finally gave up and slid back down, right into the creek wall. show me a swingout tire carrier that's NOT going to flex in that case. ;)

Comment

Lol.....that'd do it!

Comment

Here is a LoD listed on craigslist in case it is what you are looking for.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pts/2362186034.html

John
                      1997 Cherokee, 3", 32" MT's, and too many lights.. :)

Always Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                        finally gave up and slid back down, right into the creek wall. show me a swingout tire carrier that's NOT going to flex in that case. ;)

one on the roof ?

one on another vehicle ?

most except mine ?

LOL.....

I give up ! :-)
                        I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                        it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                        Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Originally posted by FreemansXJ View Post
                          Here is a LoD listed on craigslist in case it is what you are looking for.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pts/2362186034.html

John

Well. looky there. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Working...
                          X