• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between YJ and CJ axles dana 30

1. High pinion verses low pinion

2. The knuckles stick out further on the YJ verses the CJ

3. The WMS is different

4. Vacuum disconnect on the YJ, manual lock out hubs on the CJ

5. The long side on the passenger side of a YJ has the axle seal AFTER the vacuum disconnect.

LOL I just learned the last little ditty when I got the axle to the shop (Maywood) to have the gears installed. Well.......... so we are in the midsts of figuring out what to do about it.

I just assumed that the axle seal was at the housing, so I cut the long side of the YJ and rewelded the knuckle on, NOT so!

I kinda feel silly, but.......... hey, it is what it is, a great learning experience. :-) Its only an axle, the one I have under the Jeep works perfectly fine. I just looked out in my pile of spare parts, I found a 10.5" long chunk of 2.5" x .250 wall that is straight, AND it has one end machined for an .............. axle seal. :-)

Sounds like I have a few options.

1. See if we can find an OEM axle seal that fits the OD with the right ID for the 2.1sh ID of the axle tubing (long shot)
    2. If #1 doesn't work, see if there is a smaller OD axle seal with the right ID, and have a collet machined to hold the axle seal
    3. If that too fails, see if a machine shop has a huge end mill that can machine out the inside of the tube inside the housing.
    4. Cut the tube out of the short side, cut the knuckle off, get new piece of tubing machined for an axle seal or install the chunk of tubing that I already have.

Wally

The yj axle will accept a seal at the differential for a one piece conversion. There are two different axle tube thicknesses on the yj housing. So two different part numbers as well.

Housing bore 2.0" part number 40576S
    Housing bore 2.06" part number 471354
    4x4LAND.com
    Mike
    Knowledge is priceless

Comment

Originally posted by 4x4 LAND View Post
      The yj axle will accept a seal at the differential for a one piece conversion. There are two different axle tube thicknesses on the yj housing. So two different part numbers as well.

If it were me and I ware spending this kinda money to build a front axle it would be a high pinion 44 from a ford f150 or bronco. Have built many and it's fairly simple and much much stronger.
      4x4LAND.com
      Mike
      Knowledge is priceless

Comment

Wally,
        Mike hit the nail on the head. Lot's of people convert to solid long side axle like from a tj or so and use a seal in the diff. I think I've seen threads where a seal number 11800 or something like that. I'm sure you could do some research for 1 piece axle conversions on YJs and get a seal that would work. Nice work on the pass side hp30 build BTW :).

Comment

BIG THANKS for the lead. I "think" that was what Jeff at Maywood was talking about this morning?

I am committed to finishing this project, and even with the hiccups, its part of my experience in learning. LOL I will know next time to think about that.

I am thankful that I started now verses in July, trying to get ready for my August wheeling trip. :-)

Thanks once again.

Wally

Comment

I appreciate that lead!

Wally

Originally posted by BlooJoop View Post
            Wally,
            Mike hit the nail on the head. Lot's of people convert to solid long side axle like from a tj or so and use a seal in the diff. I think I've seen threads where a seal number 11800 or something like that. I'm sure you could do some research for 1 piece axle conversions on YJs and get a seal that would work. Nice work on the pass side hp30 build BTW :).

Comment

I haven't cut any corners, less using a dana 30 housing. In honesty, I was off about a grand in what I "thought" I would need to spend verses what I have spent to do it right.

That too is a learning experience. I am NOT complaining, it is what it is, I wouldn't trade the whole experience for anything, hiccups and all.

I have plans to move up to a 38-40" tire at some point, looking at an wheel base stretch, maybe a little more horse power. When I do, I will head towards legitimate axles with a fair amount more durability.

Wally

If it were me and I ware spending this kinda money to build a front axle it would be a high pinion 44 from a ford f150 or bronco. Have built many and it's fairly simple and much much stronger.

Comment

Working...
              X