Electric Fan in my TJ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Fan in my TJ

I have a electric fan on my 99 TJ. I want to put in a lighted switch in the dash that will light up when the fan is disabled. Is this possible?
    I'm on a wiring binge. I am doing the double switch panel mod that puts another 3 switches and a cigarette lighter where the ashtray was. I plan on wiring the extra cig lighter to be unswitched. I need to wire a switch for onboard air, fan control overide, LED rock and interior lights with a couple of blanks for future stuff.

thanks
    sigpicerrinjan 99 TJ to much to list....

I did it on mine, except for it lights up when the fan is on and turns off when the fan is off. You need a wire to ground, a wire to a switched ignition 12+V source, and the wire leading to your relay to activate it when you flip the switch. I can take pics of my setup if you need any help.
    Last edited by heap o' jeep; 04-07-2011, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by heap o' jeep View Post
      I did it on mine, except for it lights up when the fan is off and turns off when the fan is off. You need a wire to ground, a wire to a switched ignition 12+V source, and the wire leading to your relay to activate it when you flip the switch. I can take pics of my setup if you need any help.
      it lights up when fan is off and and turns off when is off ?

I have a YJ (CYJ actually) but this confuses me !

is it ever on ?
      I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
      it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
      Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Originally posted by spunebil View Post
        it lights up when fan is off and and turns off when is off ?

I have a YJ (CYJ actually) but this confuses me !

is it ever on ?
        Fixed it ;)

Sad thing is....I even read it back through to make sure I wasn't blabbering incoherently. Fail

Comment

are you basically asking for a dummy light? something to warn you when/if your fan stops working?

Comment

exactly, a dummy light. Something that will tell me "hey stupid your fan is off" before the "check gauges" lights up and beeps

I would love pictures

thanks

Comment

oops No wonder I have to ask for help
              Last edited by errinjan; 04-07-2011, 08:28 PM.

Comment

do you want to to tell you that the fan is OFF or that the fan has failed?

telling you the the fan is off is simple... telling you that the fan has failed is a little more work

Comment

Just want it to tell me the fan is OFF. If it fails I'll find out soon enough

thanks

Comment

I forget the name of that kind of switch...

but you will need a relay(goes without saying on an electric fan)

and a switch that can go in 2 positions... but one position turns the fan on (and the dummy light off), the other position will turn the dummy light on (but the fan off)

another option would be to to make the dummy light turn GREEN when the fan it on and RED when the fan is off

also... do you want the fan to only run when the engine is on or would you like the option to run even if the engine is off?

Comment

I have trust issues with having the fan run with the key off. I know most newer cars with electric fans are set up that way.

Comment

when I had me XJ I could HEAR when the electric fan was on ! .....not sure if that matters, but maybe ya should get the XJ electric fan ? and then ya wouldn't need a light !

unless ya are hard of hearing ! ;-)

course maybe that was the clutch fan I heard.......oh well.......maybe I was wrong !

it happens now and then ! .....LOL :-)
                        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

After considerable thought and brain storming. Taking all things suggested and considered. I have decided to live by the best advice I've ever been given

KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID

If I need to turn off the fan for a water crossing-Open the hood and pull the fuse-cross the creek- reinstall fuse.

problem solved

thanks everyone

Comment

Have you had issues with the fan shorting out during creek crossings? You have to be in REAL deep to get to the fan and at that point I would be worried about the engine sucking in water through the intake.

Comment

hmmmm a simple lighted toggle switch would of work for that ! turn it on for everyday driving (it will be lighted up) and turn it off when crossing creek !

I thot ya was wanting some fancy way of knowing if fan was running or not , not a way to control its opperation ! ;-)

course now I am wondering how the fan keeps from shorting out during a heavy rain. :-)
                              Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Working...
                              X