this made me sad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this made me sad

I made this unfortunate discovery behind my rocker guard about an hour ago. I had my suspicions about it for a few years but figured if I just didn't think about it that it wouldn't be true.........

It is saddening that some do cover-ups instead of repairs. If you don't already have a game plan, and intend to fix it, I have some ideas for repairing that, Tim.

Comment

It probably wasn't a coverup job, but the effect of trapped dirt & water behind the armor. I found similar damage all down the side of mine when I took my cornes of last year. I tried sealing the top edge with silicone, but I'm afraid the dirt still makes its way up from the underside. I touched mine up with primer & paint before putting the sliders back on, hoping to ward it off a bit longer...

Comment

I have the same issue.
        Before

After

The floor support comes across and attaches to the side panel. The floor support is not sealed against the floor nor the side panel. In time, it rusts from inside out.

Same for the body mount floor support channel.

Not much you can do about it, other than treat it now with as much preparation as possible. I wouldn't seal it, but coat it with protectant. Maybe even drill other holes to help 'drain'. Then when washing out the Jeep, spray water through the floor support channels to 'wash' away the mud, dirt, salt, sand, that all collect up in there. Do the body mount channel as well. I crawl underneath my Jeep 3 times a year to clean out the floor support channels. My Jeep originated from OH so I already had a loosing game.

Do note, I flopped my Jeep on its side. 4 of the 6 mid-body body mounts either popped through the floor support or collapsed.
        Last edited by jagular7; 02-16-2011, 07:16 AM.
        Mike
        Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

it wasn't a cover up. when I bought this Jeep it was stock and flawless. the culprit was just what Rich said, trapped water and **** behind the armor. here's the guard I pulled off last night. I am very unhappy with the durability or lack there of that the sprayed on bedliner provided/didn't provide..........

Rich.....my body mounts look just like yours in that pic.
          Last edited by undercon; 02-16-2011, 10:57 AM.

Comment

it's funny.....there are places under that bedliner that look as perfect as the day I bought them and other spots (about 50%) that look like they came off a truck buried in a swamp for 20 years........

here's a before......

Comment

Looks like you got some rust under the bedliner. Best thing to do is probably have it media blasted down to bare steel then prep and paint it. I'd recommend and etching primer and multiple thin coats of regular old spray paint.

No matter what you put on there (paint, powder coat, bedliner) the rocks are going to scrape it off, and it will start rusting. Repairing powder coat involves re-blasting and re-coating. Bedliner is probably the same; once water infiltrates underneath it, it's going to be tough to repair. Spray paint is EASY to touch up, and if you touch it up regularly, the rust won't take over nearly as fast.

Underneath the armor I don't know what to tell you. I've heard of people running beads of silicone around the back of their armor and letting it dry before bolting it up, to act as a "gasket" of sorts, but I'm sure wherever that silicone rubs the factory paint, it's going to wear through. Unless you weld the armor to the tub, I don't see how you're going to prevent contaminants from getting in there, an once they're in there, rubbing through the paint.

Rockmen recommends removing the armor and cleaning it out at least yearly. Most of us don't have that kind of gumption. :)

Comment

I can relate:

Cut the cancer out and weld it up.

Wally

Comment

The beat way to seal is to use automotive seam sealer. You can get it in brush-on and caulking gun format, and it's exactly what the Mfrs use when joining panels together on the floor and such. Grind the surface to a rough texture and apply. It's paintable and some types can be sanded. It will actually adhere to the metal better than silicone. It's also less prone to dry and crack.

I packed it into all the crevices of my fenders where dirt and suck would tend to gather. It also fills in the valleys so stuff doesn't have a place to hide.

Comment

Oh, and any auto parts place can get it for you.

Comment

I will be a calling, when I get around to cutting out more cancer.

Originally posted by TommyG View Post
                      Oh, and any auto parts place can get it for you.

Comment

This is making me a little nervous, I'm pulling my sliders off for the first time tomorrow. We'll see!

Comment

Mine has rust in the same place. Its going to get cut out this summer. Does anyone make a patch panel for it, or how are you all fixing it? Just flat metal cut to fit maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by kcmudbug View Post
                            Mine has rust in the same place. Its going to get cut out this summer. Does anyone make a patch panel for it, or how are you all fixing it? Just flat metal cut to fit maybe?
                            In response to my own question in case anyone else is wondering....Quadratec.com has lower cowl / rocker repair panels for 24.99. 12522.001 driver's side and 12522.002 for the pass side.

Comment

Jus' found this ad. You could cut out the existing panel and bolt this in. it'll never rust again.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pts/2298501437.html

Comment

Working...
                              X