X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After market tire carrier w/o bumper

I've seen a few style of these recently

http://www.goruggedridge.com/product...oducts_id=6225

Anybody have any feedback on them? I couldn't find any reviews. I could really use a place to put my spare tire & don't want to spend the $ for a new rear bumer & carrier. FIgured $70 for a spare mount to get a few years out of it would be well worth the $.

Have also seen these

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...r-p-16778.html

Not bad for the $$$. Not sure what tire size they are rated for though.
    Last edited by mujeeper; 12-22-2010, 11:16 AM.

Your still depending on the tailgate to support the weight. Eventually the sheet metal could tear and the hinges will wear out and let the tailgate sag.

IMO wait until you can get a bumper mounted one. Look into TrailGears bumper. It's one of the cheapest on the market. I have one and it's holding up great with a 36" TSL on a steel wheel.

Comment

I had this http://www.amazon.com/Or-Fab-Swing-A.../dp/B000FQ06Q2
      Worked amazing. Doesnt hang from the tub, has huge brackets that mount inside to the cage and stuff. Never had a problem with it and never wouldve. Expensive but you get a lot more than meets the eye.

Comment

Say no to gate mount!

I'd seriously suggest passing on the gate mounted carrier if you're looking to haul tires larger than stock. Your gate hinge and sheet metal will thank you.

I built a carrier out of square tube and a kit from A to Z Fabrication and I couldn't be happier.

Comment

I use a factory spare tyre carrier and run 34" LTB's and have wheeled with that setup several times ! Its also me daily driver and I drive it every friggen day !

I haven't had any problem with hinges wearing out , but tailgate is closed when I drive so it doesnt have much room to move in first place !

the carrier you show in first link is supposed to be good for up to a 35" tyre and it probably will be A-OK !

course I have a YJ so I dont know if tailgates have same strength properties as later TJ's ! ;)
          I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
          Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
          it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
          Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Ya. Been wanting to build my own with the parts from a to z and some stock, but I don't have a welder (nor do I know how to) so I'm relying on a friend. I've read an article about building them air tight and using them as an air compressor which sounds sweeeeet, but I've been getting impatient and was thinkin something cheap & easy to throw on for a while. Wasn't sure if the cheapo some how attached to a stronger part of the jeep or if it's a beefed up section on an undersize door mount. bummer.

guess i'll stick with the DIY bumper. I've been looking into steel cutting blades for circular saws so I could start getting the shapes & cuts I need.

Comment

The stock carrier is not a good carrier for anytire above stock tire. I know a couple people have done it, but the zerts in the tail gate where bolt go are barly tacked in. they will strip and or pull out and you"re screwed. If you are going to run off of stock location, make sure there is no "play" in tire....that it is tight against the bumps. I have had two zerts come loose and the upper hinge sprung. And I never took the jeep off road. So this set up is strickly "at your own risk". Just my $.02
              "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
              Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

Comment

Originally posted by mujeeper View Post
                Ya. Been wanting to build my own with the parts from a to z and some stock, but I don't have a welder (nor do I know how to) so I'm relying on a friend. I've read an article about building them air tight and using them as an air compressor which sounds sweeeeet, but I've been getting impatient and was thinkin something cheap & easy to throw on for a while. Wasn't sure if the cheapo some how attached to a stronger part of the jeep or if it's a beefed up section on an undersize door mount. bummer.

guess i'll stick with the DIY bumper. I've been looking into steel cutting blades for circular saws so I could start getting the shapes & cuts I need.
                we use milwalkee saw and blades . its an 8" blade (I think) so it wont fit a regular circle saw (which is 7 1/4") but I seem to remember a place down in fairfax that carries a 7 1/4" blade ! ;-)
                Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

as for factory spare tyre carrier, her are some pics and I have been off road several times with this set up plus I drive it everyday to shop and such too !

and the spare is a 34 X 10.50 X 15 LTB (like I mentioned earlier) and I have had zero problems with the factory mount ! And tyre doesnt even contact the rubber bump stops from factory mounted on the tailgate !
                  Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Originally posted by mujeeper View Post
                    I've been looking into steel cutting blades for circular saws so I could start getting the shapes & cuts I need.
                    I've used ones from Home Depot. Kind of like this one.

Rage also makes a metal blade that is supposed to work on metal. Not sure how long it last, but it's $40
                    Last edited by diabloed; 12-29-2010, 12:48 PM.

Comment

that evolution blades alot like the milwalkee blade ! and the milwalkee's will last if proper pitch is chosen ! use a fine pitch for sheet metal and a course pitch (like diabloed shows) for thicker steel !

I ripped a L6X8X1/2" X 20 foot (angle if ya dont recognize what the L stands for ) anyways, I ripped 1" off of it for the entire 20 feet and even had to stop twice for saw t cool down, but blade kept on a cutting and I had a L6X7X1/2"X20 foot angle when done ! LOL !

thats 1/2" thick steel for those who might be wondering.........

good blades, but match the pitch to your material ;-)
                      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Working...
                      X