Airing Down - Newbie Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airing Down - Newbie Question

I am going on a trail ride this weekend. I know I need to air down, but what kind of tire pressure should I have for a stock TJ and essentially beginner or low difficulty trails?

Thanks.

start and 10 to 12 is what i have done in the past seem to work great for me

Comment

when I ran 31" baja claws i would air down to around 14 psi and have great traction

with me 34" LTB's i air down to around 12 psi and have had a good time

try around 16 psi and if it looks like you can air down more comfortably, go for it, it all depends on your tyres and wheels (width), but don't over do it and end up with a popped bead or cut tyre, etc. :twisted:
      I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
      it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
      Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

14-15psi is a safe pressure to run 31" tires at with a decent increase in traction.

10-12psi is what I run 35" tires at on a 10" width rim.

Wally

Comment

It is really not the size of the tire to determine air pressure. There are a lot of other considerations, but most importantly is the sidewall strength of the tire. For a stock vehicle with stock tires (load range B or C), stick to 18 or so. You can go lower when and if needed. But that is also a learning curve to get and understand.
          Make sure you have a matching spare as well and a way to change to it if needed. Remove your lock nuts and put back the standard nut. Debri, dirt, pebbles, etc will get into your channel of your lock and you won't be able to remove it without surgical tools ( :o ).

Go out, bring a camera, and have fun. Tomorrow at KanRocks is the Halloween Run. Are you participating? There will be lots of people to help out if situations arise.
          Mike
          Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Thanks for all the responses! I will be at Kansas rocks tomorrow!

Comment

Thanks for all the responses! I will be at Kansas rocks tomorrow!

Comment

I based my recomendations on Jim Allen's two books "Jeep 4x4 Performance Handbook(page 35) and 4 Wheelers Bible (page 92)". His reference is Oasis Off Road Manufacturing.

Wally

Comment

"Make sure you have a matching spare as well and a way to change to it if needed. Remove your lock nuts and put back the standard nut. Debri, dirt, pebbles, etc will get into your channel of your lock and you won't be able to remove it without surgical tools"

That is great advice Jagular7, I don't think I would have thought of that until it happened to me, thanks.

Comment

I ran my stock 31" MTR's around 12-15 on the stock Moab style rims.

I ran my 33" Trxxus MT's around 10-12 on the 15x8" black steel rims.

I run my 35" Procomp MT's around 6 on the same 15x8" black steel rims. It was enough to break the locker when they bit. :)

The more you lower, the bigger the contact patch with the ground, the more traction you'll gain, and the more strain it will put on your drive train.

Comment

So when airing down are there any special considerations with TPS ?

Comment

The easiest thing to do is to air them back up above the cold temp pressure on your door sticker (37+ lbs I think) until the light goes back out. I've heard of people replacing the TPS sensors with normal valve stems, then throwing the TPS stems into a PVC "pipe bomb" in the glove box or zip-tied somewhere underneath, that they've pressurized so the computer thinks the tires are always at the right pressure.

Just don't cross any borders if you do that! :D

Another route may be to have someone with a programmer disable the TPMS completely. I think Todd has an AEV scanner that might do it. If you go that route, be aware that when you sell the vehicle you need to put it back so you're not held liable for any incidents down the road (e.g. blowout from low pressure, etc). that's why the dealers won't disable it anymore; now that it's a federal requirement, they all say it can't be done.

Some of the JK guys may weigh in with other ideas as well. That's all I got. :)

Comment

wow, I did not know they had that feature

Comment

if aired down and the TPS has light on, will everything else work ?

cause it it just a dash light (like check engine light)

couldn't ya just ignore light till off trail and aired back up ?
                            I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                            Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                            it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                            Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

yes, it's just a dash light as far as i'm aware. most folks that wheel a lot just delete it with a programmer i think.

Comment

Working...
                              X