Front Upper Control Arm replacement - ZJ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Upper Control Arm replacement - ZJ

I love they Hayes manual instructions: Remove the two upper control arm bolts. Remove the old control arm. Install the new control arm. Replace the bolts, torque to spec.

Yeah, right.

Getting the front passenger side bushing out wasn't easy. Using a press to get the new one in wasn't easy.

But now we're stuck. The axle rotated slightly, and the holes on the new control arm are about 1/2" from lining up.

Any suggestions on the best way to rotate the axle to get the holes to line up? We tried a ratchet strap, but couldn't get enough tension on it to accomplish squat.

Side note - we bought the new arms from O'Reilly, the store brand. When we put a tape measure to them, one is almost 1/2" shorter than the other. Brilliant.
    --
    It's not a bad road filled with potholes and broken pavement, it's just Jeep-friendly.

Is jeep on jackstands (at frame) tyres off ground ? So axle will rotate easily ?
    I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
    Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
    it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
    Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Yeah - we had it in the air. We finally got the f-ing bolt back in late Sunday night, and as I was torquing it down, it snapped. Apparently the replacement I bought wasn't hardened correctly. I guess better there than on the road.

Went to Nuts & Bolts Monday am, got a set of hardened bolts. Slipped in with no problem with weight on it.

Going to fight the battle again Saturday to replace everything. So far, we have the passenger front upper bushing replaced.

Learning....painfully and slowly, but learning....
      --
      It's not a bad road filled with potholes and broken pavement, it's just Jeep-friendly.

Comment

Working...
      X