check engine light question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• check engine light question

Alright guys I have a 2001 Cherokee sport 4.0 auto that threw a check engine light this morning and I went and had the code read today after work ......came out to be PT 1494 evap leak pump detection......has any one else had this problem and have any experience dealing with this

I haven't had the 1494 code but my check engine light has been on for well over a year now. My code is P0455. There are a handful of codes related to the evap system:

•P0442-Evap Leak Monitor 0.040" Leak Detected
    •P0455-Evap Leak Monitor Large Leak Detected
    •P0456-Evap Leak Monitor 0.020" Leak Detected
    •P1486-Evap Leak Monitor Pinched Hose Found
    •P1494-Leak Detection Pump SW Or Mechanical Fault
    •P1495-Leak Detection Pump Solenoid Circuit

I've tried different things to rid my check engine light but haven't dedicated a lot of time to it as the rig doesn't seem to run any differently.
    -Mike B-
    '01 XJ Sport
    '11KK Limited

Comment

Cold weather can bring this kind of code out. Check the condition of the hoses. Sometimes it only takes a wiggle or two near the connections. Go to Advance and rent the code reader to remove it. Make sure there are no cracks of the hoses. Once the code is removed, wiggle the hoses there. Then start and run you Jeep for a few minutes. Hit throttle so its off idle from time to time. The code should stay clear. It may come back in a few days and you have to start the process all over again. If it comes back for a 3rd time, look for cracks of the hoses and box.
      My Esteem wagon did it twice in December. Haven't seen it since.
      Mike
      Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

The 494 code is a mechanical fault with the leak detection pump. Meaning that the pump is not getting the electrical signal it is supposed to or that the pump is bad internally. Most likely it is a bad pump very common with that code number. The "1" in front of it means that it is a manufacture specific code. Split hoses will not cause this code but it is recommended to check all of the EVAP hoses while you are at it. The leak detection pump should be under the hood on your jeep. If you look at the vacuum diagram that is under the hood it will show you where that pump is. Good Luck!
        Some people just need to get over themselves.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys I will be making an attempt one day after work this week and I will let u know how it comes out

Comment

Anyone know where i can buy a new Ldp i called around and went to all my normal online parts spots and I'm not having any luck finding someone selling them

Comment

Leak detection pumps are usually dealer only no matter the make from what I have found lately. See if you can find what years they interchange with and go down to pick and pull and get you one.
              Some people just need to get over themselves.

Comment

Working...
              X