Help Please with my 1998 Jeep Cherokee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please with my 1998 Jeep Cherokee

I have a 1998 jeep Cherokee 4.0 automatic. The drive train is mostly stock and no engine modifications. I am faorly good with working on cars but this has me stumped. I really need help if anyone has ideas. I really want to do some trail riding soon but can't do it the way it is. The following is a description of the problem. Thanks for reading it.

I am driving down the highway and jeep is running fine, went into passing gear to get around a truck and at about 4500 rpm the motor backfires and suddenly the jeep is in limp mode. won't go but about 10 miles an hour. Gauges are all ok. Not hot, good oil pressure and idles ok. Took off batt cables to reset computer and then could slowly get up to highway speed with allot of bacfiring and really no power. Doesn't miss at idle, backfires underpower and you can hear the drone of the motor trying to suck in air but not going anywhere. Mileage has dropped to about ten miles per gallon. Have computer codes that all state the transmission is messed up but it shifts and goes into passing gear as it should, Transmission does not slip. Does seem to shift a little early but that is likely from the way it is running. Vacumme appears down as you get little assit from the booster in breaking. I have found no vac lines off that I can see. Trans codes all refer to the electronics but like I said the tranmission does not seem to be the issue. Hasn't gotten worse but hasn't got better either. I am at a loss and really need help badly from someone if they are familiar with this problem or have ideas. Thanks for reading this. Contact me at 913 634 1880 with text or lccc@swbell.net or just leaveme a message. Thanks again

Mudman, it could be a couple if things, I am thinking your shift solenoids in the transmission may have gone bad. It happened to a buddy's Cherokee, and it ran like @$$. I did a write up on NAXJA back in 09 on how to change these. Here is the link

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=987463

I am basing this on the fact that you are only getting transmission codes.

John
    1997 Cherokee, 3", 32" MT's, and too many lights.. :)

Always Smilin'

Comment

You are describing a good example of a bad catalytic converter. DO NOT cut the exhaust off, rather take the oxygen sensor before the converter out and go drive it, see what happens. I am actually going to be in Tonganoxie most of today running errands if you need any help email me at royalsward@gmail.com send me your phone number and I will call you. Or instant message me on facebook the name is Raymond Ward
      Some people just need to get over themselves.

Comment

Thanks guys. I will check the cat. first as it may be easist and it is giving an o2 code along with three transmission codes. Apreciate the link for chanking out the solenoids. With the transmission codes it seems likely, Really wierd though as the jeep was running very good and then at about 4500 rpm it tanked and went into limp. Let me reset it but runs like **** and the codesd won't reset, my phone is 913 634 1880

Comment

Working...
        X