WJ Axle Seal Mechanic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WJ Axle Seal Mechanic

Hello - just moved here from california. I need help finding a local shop that can help me change my front / rear axle seals. I was quoted over $200 to press on new bearings and seals if I took in my rear axles?!?!?! That seems highly unreasonable. Any "jeep friendly" shop that would be willing to give me a good price would be great. Thank you in advance!!

Call Mike @ 4x4 Land in Topeka (785-862-8008).

Comment

I think $200 sounds really cheap? To install front axle seals you must disassemble the almost the entire front axle and remove the carrier. The rear you will have to press off the bearings. I am not sure even how to do that with the studs in the way. So I usually cut those off and press on new bearings. No way I'd do all that for $200. I would also suggest 4x4 Land for a good shop.

Jake

Comment

That was $200 for just rear.... Front not included. They wanted to charge me $850 labor for front and rear if I brought my parts in. I called 4x4 Land this morning and spoke to Garret. After that great conversation I will just be taking all my parts to him for a fraction of the other quote. Great help. Thanks guys. Hopefully I will be able to go on a run (mild lol) with you all soon! Again - Thank You.

Comment

Originally posted by inphobic View Post
          I think $200 sounds really cheap? To install front axle seals you must disassemble the almost the entire front axle and remove the carrier. The rear you will have to press off the bearings. I am not sure even how to do that with the studs in the way. So I usually cut those off and press on new bearings. No way I'd do all that for $200. I would also suggest 4x4 Land for a good shop.

Jake

Jake,
          I think he is saying $200 to do the rear only. But I do agree as both you and I know with owning WJs that the rear axle seals are not a real quick or easy job.

Comment

Originally posted by dubJfam View Post
            Hello - just moved here from california. I need help finding a local shop that can help me change my front / rear axle seals. I was quoted over $200 to press on new bearings and seals if I took in my rear axles?!?!?! That seems highly unreasonable. Any "jeep friendly" shop that would be willing to give me a good price would be great. Thank you in advance!!

I live in OP too and I own a WJ and have done this to mine. If you want I will PM you my # and set up a time for you to bring your rear axle shafts over and we will work it out.

Comment

Yikes! $1050 for both axles sounds like a LOT. Even pulling the carrier and stuff, that seems high. Glad Garrett was able to hook you up.

Comment

If you bring the axles by my shop Monday through Friday I can help you get them off of the axle and put the new ones on.
                Some people just need to get over themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                  Yikes! $1050 for both axles sounds like a LOT. Even pulling the carrier and stuff, that seems high. Glad Garrett was able to hook you up.
                  Where in this entire thread did you see $1050 ?

:)
                  I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                  Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                  it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                  Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Sorry, it was in a moderated post about 3 posts back. I approved it so everyone can see it. My bad.

Comment

:) :D :pb
                      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Where did that little " b" come from?
                        :)
                        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

thanks for the help everyone. I should get this all fixed in a couple weeks.

Comment

Working...
                          X