97 ZJ dies when you let off the gas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 ZJ dies when you let off the gas

Here's the specs: '97 ZJ, 5.3l V-8, auto trans.

When moving at low speed - under 5 mph - and you let off the gas suddenly, it dies. It will do it almost every time if you are giving it just enough gas to move then abruptly let off the gas rather than gently letting off.

I have replaced the idle air controller motor, air cleaner is clean, I routinely run fuel injector cleaner through it about every 10k miles. Plugs and wires are about 14 months old, transmission was replaced as well.

Any suggestions?

My gut feeling is that it's the catalytic converter - it rattles, and I know that backpressure from a plugged cat can cause it to die at idle.

Any other ideas?
    --
    It's not a bad road filled with potholes and broken pavement, it's just Jeep-friendly.

Plugged cat will almost always choke the engine at higher RPMs under load. If you can reach redline it's not the cat. My guess is Throttle Position Sensor. If the voltage falls to low from the output it will cut fuel flow.

Comment

Thanks! We'll be getting out the ol' volt-o-meter this afternoon.
      --
      It's not a bad road filled with potholes and broken pavement, it's just Jeep-friendly.

Comment

Looks like that did it! Also had a proud dad moment - took my son to O'Reilly, got the part - he paid, since it's his Jeep. Took him home, gave him the Haynes manual. He couldn't find how to replace the TPS in the manual, so he LOOKED until he found it!

USMC Boot Camp was a VERY good thing for him!
        --

Comment

Great news! Tell your son "Thank You" for his sacrifice!

Comment

Working...
          X