ZJ gets an 8.8 and 4 link

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZJ gets an 8.8 and 4 link

I was wheeling at Tuttle Creek in Kansas and finally destroyed the Dana 35 in the rear. I always told myself that once I broke an axle shaft or something in the 35 that I would switch to an 8.8, so let the mayhem begin.

First here is a pick of the broken Yukon axle shaft remnants

Got the axle put back together and running, but that is just to move it around the shop.

Found an 8.8 on craigslist for $100 without any of the brakes on it. Which is fine because my disc brakes will switch over.

Time to clean off all the brackets and start getting to work.

I sold my locker, axles, diff cover and adjustable arms to my mom. In trade I had her buy all of the joints and inserts for the 4 link. Joints are from Rusty's and the inserts are from Ballistic Fabrication.

My 3 year old son was helping me at the shop. Remember Safety First!

He looks a little scary in this picture. The face shield was pulling his eyelids down.

I got the coil buckets and shock tabs on yesterday along with starting the truss. I will get pictures this week and more along the way.
    Some people just need to get over themselves.

where's the "like" button!
    "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
    Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

Comment

Did not get much done this week, I did get the upper truss finish cut and welded. Now I need to get it on the axle. Then remove the old axle and start getting things mocked up so i can figure out the placements needed.

The truss is not finish welded and ground in these pictures.

Comment

Did some more work last night. I got the upper truss all done aside from getting the link mounts on. I have the rear crossmember most of the way made up, aside from cutting the relief for the exhaust to pass above it and drilling the holes for the bolts. Waiting on another jeep to become movable so that I can get mine in and remove the Dana 35 and get the rest of the fabbing done. Here are some pics of the upper truss.

Zack was giving me a hard time about the gaps around the truss so I spent some time filling the gaps. I do have to say that it looks better.

Comment

looks good. i need to find a 8.8 to build

Comment

I have got quite a bit done here in the last week or so here are some pics.

First, Carson has renamed the long arms to "Big Arms"

I got a couple made up and then set the crossmember in place and started mocking things up.

I got the rest of the arms made up last night along with the rest of the brackets. I always hated when people posted pictures like this but when you get it all set up you just have to. I may end needing to tunnel the body a little for the upper arms to clear.

Comment

Well it has been a while since I have updated the post on here. I drove the jeep for about 150 miles this weekend and it drives well. I need to install monotube shocks on the rear due to the need of mounting them upside down. I have no rear driveshaft right now but am waiting on one that I ordered from Tom Woods. I also have ordered the pieces that I need to get the front leveled out with the rear. Then I will build the links and tabs for the front long arms and I will be done with the suspension for now. We all know how it is. Enough with the talking let's get to some pictures.

Had to make some new coil spring mounts so I may as well add my own lift kit to it. These are called the Thor mounts

I had to make a new transmission crossmember to accommodate the front arms that will be coming soon. I also added a 4xfab transmission mount while I was doing it. When under it I could see where the transmission and transfer case have been hitting the floor board.

I see triangles! And that is a good thing! I knew that I would have to shave the rear crossmember to clear the driveshaft but I did not realize how short the hack n' tap made the tail shaft. I am going to have to cut a section out of the crossmember then make a u to go above it to brace it against the up and down pressure from the suspension. I have already started gusseting the heck out of it so it does not move when I cut it.

Since taking this picture I have added a 2x4 between the front and rear crossmember to add strength and more weld area for the mounts.

Had to try out the flex with a fake hi-lift jack on the bumper.

I think it looks pretty sexy from the back! This is with 35's on it. Story of my life right now waiting on parts but they will be here soon and then I will get some more posted up.
              Last edited by reward_1000; 01-09-2012, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Holy lift batman! I like it!

Has anyone ever thought of getting a fox body 8.8 since it is already set up for a 4 link and use those mounts?

Comment

Originally posted by mrbudlightbeer View Post
                  Holy lift batman! I like it!

Has anyone ever thought of getting a fox body 8.8 since it is already set up for a 4 link and use those mounts?
                  lol x2 how much lift is that? and IIRC fox body 8.8s were 28? spline and had 4 lug axles. exploder 8.8s are a much easier "bolt in" axle to use

Comment

Yeah but, you get an empty fox body rear end, and put in the explorer guts, then you get the best of both worlds, and you dont have to build the mounts on the housing, seems easier out of the gate, lol

Comment

I dont know if this same, but me navy jeep came with a 8.8 and when i went to change shocks, it turned out that Stock fit better even tho jeep has like a 4" lift!
                      Something about mount location lol
                      I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                      it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                      Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

It is about 7" of lift, give or take a little bit. With the axle tubes being bigger and the mounts for the springs sitting higher along with the lift that I built into the coil mounts it is close to 7" total. At least I hope that is what it is because that is what I ordered for front springs. The picture is a little deceiving due to how I took it, and I have also trimmed the back a little bit.
                        Spune the stock mounts might have worked except they hung below the axle tube. I was trying not to get anything to hang below the tube.

Comment

Nice. That's a good amount of lift or 35s. I'm having my friend that's making my coil buckets add an inch or so of lift since my rear springs sag a bit. Any plans to go bigger on tires

Comment

I have 35's now, but eventually hope to to go bigger. I have the hp30 on the front and I may need upgrade it one way or the other. Either make it stronger or change the axle out for something else. You need to come by and check it out when you are in town. I am working on it at Johnson drive and I-35. Email me sometime and we will get together.

Comment

thats really close to my area i'll have to do that. i'll be back in kc over the weekend of the 27th i'll come check it out then

Comment

Working...
                              X