Front Axle Grinding Noise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Axle Grinding Noise

Okay; the transfer case is in. The good news is that I now have a case that I can put in Neutral by hand, which hopefully means that it won't randomly drop out of gear and then back in at highway speed...

The bad news is that this Jeep clearly has more troubles. I had a local shop put new U-joints in the front axle (one was spitting rust, driver side), and since I got it back, there is a grinding noise in the front and the ABS is going nuts. My wife was in Stillwell when the transfer case did what it did, I had it lifted to Raytown, they did the joints and told me the xfer case was bad. I drove it from that shop home (about 4 miles), and got the xfer case replaced -today-. It was during that 4mi drive home that we noticed the grind and brake problem.

The brake problem will go away if I pull the ABS fuse. My guess is that the transmission shop screwed up the brakes when they put the joints in; I think I can deal with that, I'll pull the wheels off next Saturday, clean, and reassemble.

The major problem is the grinding noise. I pulled the whole pumpkin cover off, and everything -looks- okay. I didn't check pinion thrust or anything like that, but it looks fine. I can drive in reverse as fast as I want to, with no noise at all. Put it in D, pull forward 15', and the noise (kinda' rawr-rawr-rawr) kicks in. It feels like a gear or a bearing, and it's loud as ****. It seems to be coming from the driver hub area, and that was the u-joint that was going bad and dusting the housing.

A buddy says it's likely a hub bearing. What do you guys think?

(side note, with the rear axle lifted, trans in gear, and tires spinning, is a thrashing noise normal, or is my rear axle totally effed, too?)

wow! sounds like you should have somebody who knows what they are doing look at it. Not likely you have multiple problems. Most likely a brake noise if it's grinding at that slow of speed. We do offer pickup and delivery from our shop if your interested. 785 862 8008
    4x4LAND.com
    Mike
    Knowledge is priceless

Comment

Thanks, but that's a 77 mile tow. By the time I pay for that, and your bay time, I could have bought a new axle. I'm trying to avoid a new axle; I'd much rather just fix what's wrong with mine.

Comment

You should call Mike and find out what he'll charge you. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised; he doesn't charge like a typical tow truck company. Certainly not enough that it would be cheaper to get a new axle put in.

His hourly rates for bay time is also considerably less than anyone else I've used in the KC metro area.

I think if you call him, you'll get a better picture of the cost, and I know you'll be happy with the results. Mike takes care of us.

Comment

Ditto statement on 4x4land.
          Mike
          Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Sounz like wheel bearings. Try jacking your front wheels off the ground so you can spin them by hand. Be sure to use jackstands.

Comment

Originally posted by t-rav_12 View Post
              Sounz like wheel bearings. Try jacking your front wheels off the ground so you can spin them by hand. Be sure to use jackstands.
              Ditto

Comment

check the dust shield and make sure its not touching the rotor, might have got bent when they had it apart.
                had that issue on my grand once after working on the brakes.
                Wes

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Comment

I'd take it back to the shop and have them figure out what they ****ed up.

Comment

Finally Progress

It's been a crazy year and the ZJ has been sitting since my last post. Today, I dropped the front drive shaft, and the noise is gone-ish. I just unbolted the U-joint clamps so that the shaft would fall down without causing leaks. I hear other stuff, but not the distinct grinding that I heard before. It would seem that the resistance of the drive shaft is enough to make the pinion (or whatever it is) growl, but without the shaft, it spins more freely. So...my money's on the R&P set being trashed.

Next question: Is it smarter to replace the R&P (which is beyond my skill level, so I'll have to pay somebody), or just get a used axle assembly?

Comment

I'm suspicious of the driveshaft u-joints now...

Comment

That's a thought, except that without the driveshaft installed, I think I can still hear the R&P singing. I did a little shopping for R&P kits last night at 4wd.com, and the price isn't as scary as I thought; only $200-400 depending on brand, and another $75-200 for an "installation kit." Of course, this is twice the cost of a complete axle assembly from Pick'n'Pull, but it's not that bad. And the axle on my Jeep has new outer U joints already...

Comment

Before "the event," there was no noise. After the event, with the driveshaft connected, there was noise. Now, with no driveshaft, there is no noise. Here's another thought...

"The Event" was my wife driving at 70 MPH, and the transfer case dropped into neutral. Thinking it was an engine problem, my wife mashed the gas pedal, zinging the crank up to some ungodly speed. With the engine racing, the transfer case reengaged, which made a BIG thump (she said it felt like the engine tried to jump through the hood). Is it possible that even though the Xfer case was set for 2WD, that 4WD could have been temporarily engaged, knocking the pinion/bearing/seals out of alignment?

Comment

does it have a vaccum disconnected front axle? if so.. we ran into the same problem with Heap'o Jeep's front axle. We ended up getting rid of the disco, and putting a full axle in the passenger side. the grinding noise we were experiencing was pretty bad, it would really roar when driving down the road. It was the spider gears turning crazy fast because the half shaft wasn't turning and they had to make up the difference.

Comment

Mmm...nope. Live axles. This roar is so loud that it's difficult to talk over it at 30 MPH.

Comment

Working...
                              X