Replacing Transfer Case

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Transfer Case

Sorry to be a second-hand post, but my dad and my father-in-law pulled the x-case out of my '98 Grand last week, and they're going to put another one in today, all while I'm away at work. A few questions:

1. The replacement case I bought is missing three of the studs on the input flange side. How can I go about moving my studs over?

2. Is there supposed to be a gasket between the transmission case and the x-case? If so, where do I source, and if not, does it need some RTV or something on the mating surface?

3. The replacement case's forward output yoke is loose. What's the torque spec on the nut that holds the yoke in?

1. To remove the studs, double nut the stud to remove and transfer. Make sure you use flange nuts against each other so that they don't bite into each other's surface. Use a little heat on the material (not the stud) to help.
    2. No gasket. The trans has an output seal. The tightness of the trans and tcase does provide enough seal to keep debri out. However, if you let your vehicle sit in muddy water for hours, some will probably get in there. If you prefer, you can add a light touch of sealant and let it set before putting it all together.
    3. If the yoke is loose, you need to tighten it. Usually an air compressor does the work quite easy enough. Put a pipe wrench around the yoke to keep it still. Nut should be 1-1/8 inch. It a lot harder to do by hand.
    Mike
    Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Thanks, Mike!

Comment

Working...
      X