How to measure for shocks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to measure for shocks

I have a 95 and a 96 XJ with lifts composed of various components, so I have no way of determining what lift is actualy on each one.
    My question is ; Is there one location to measure from, both front and rear, to find the ammount of lift?

stuff your suspension and measure that from eye, then do the same thing but letting it droop

also you can measure the lift like this...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=912893

Comment

I would suggest only the compression and static length dimensions. Droop you can figure that out from the choice you get from the shock you choose.

I used an industrial area with a ramp into the building (no one was there). Once I had the measurements, I looked for the shock with the most length, is 1/2" shorter than my compression length, and bolted into the TJ mounting configuration. I basically have a 2" spacer lift, use bump stops and risers to limit my up travel, and use shocks for a 6" lift. In time, I upgraded to using articulating arms and track bars. Still have them on for the past 6 yrs. They are not pretty and little dented. I limit my up travel because I'm running on 35" tires with 2" spacer lift and 1.25" body lift. The tire will contract the body first before full compression of the shock. But I'm less than 1/2" at full static compression. Dynamic compression will compress the bump stop more.
      Mike
      Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Working...
      X