Leaf spring help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaf spring help

I am wanting to get a little more out of the rear XJ leaves on my TJ. The leaf packs are comprised of two main leaves, one with the bushings cut off, and the rest of one stock leaf pack. On my Jeep the leaves are perfectly flat. They are also flipped front to back. It rides fine, and flexs great, but I would like to see it sit a little taller and be able to handle hauling an adult or two in the back seat.

I am trying to do this on the cheap, but also realize that doing things cheap doesn't always mean doing it right.
    Thoughts on doing this 2" add a leaf? http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product...umber=SJ-R3136

It does not seem to me that the rear of my Jeep should be all that heavy, but I still wonder if it is just too heavy for stock XJ springs or if the ones I have used are just too worn out.

Ideas, thoughts, past experiences?

By the pic, I can't tell how the rear bushing is attached, but I'm thinkin' a 2" drop bracket up front and a 2 or 3" boomerang style drop shackle in the rear. You already like the way it flexes and rides, so I wouldn't try to readjust the spring rate. Add a leaf will raise you some, but it'll also give a stiffer ride and most likely, negatively affect your flexibility. Remember, also, that the flatter your spring is the better it'll flex for ya. The more arch ya add, the more forces ya have to fight for up travel, and the stiffer the ride'll be. Your build is very interesting to me. Please keep us posted as ya go, and good luck.

Comment

What about air bags? I have been looking into that for some time. I want more hauling weight but don't want to affect the empty/offroading ride. Im thinking about inboarding the air bag or even one in the center so it will not affect the flex. that is my biggest worry, changes to flex.

I have air bags on my truck and think they are fantastic. good empty ride and when i need to haul it's very firm like it should be. I impressed my dad the other day he has a 1 ton that wouldn't start so had to pick him up (and his stock trailer) loaded it up aired the airbags up and it rode like his when loaded (but doesn't ride like his when unloaded 3/4 no over load springs vs his 1 ton and stiff if bounces around empty)

Comment

T-rav. The springs are currently flat or slightly inverted, and if I lower the spring perch on the front than it will be below the frame and catch on everything. The shackle measures around 6" and are hung off a johnny joint on the frame:
        This shows the axle in almost full droop. You can see the additional main leaf.

This is flexed before the Jeep had a rollbar or mounted 38" spare.

CJ, I am hoping to spend less than the cost of airbags, and hopefully save the extra modifications. I also need the carrying capacity on the trail.

From what I have found on add a leaves, most say they add 500 lb. of weight capacity, and most seem to measure 28 inches, which would be about half of the length of the XJ springs. They claim about a 2" lift, "depending on the condition of the leaf pack." That seems to be about what I am looking for, knowing that I won't probably pull the 2" due to weight and old springs.

Comment

Oh, and t-rav, the build has been semi "complete" for a couple of years. I can no longer access it, but I believe most of my build thread may still be in the club member's Jeeps section.

Comment

when you say Flexed....are you saying extended or compressed ?

cause your pics seem to show Both .......
            I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
            Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
            it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
            Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Brian

Yep, it's still there. Here's the link to the archived forum: http://www.kcjeepclub.org/old/forum/...ic.php?t=13369

and here's the link in the new forum: http://www.kcjeepclub.org/forum/show...ack-together!*

Comment

I'd look at the XJ forums for insight to what they do since you are using XJ springs. S10 springs are usually integrated into the stock XJ spring pack.
                You still have the other spring pack? By adding another spring in the spring pack you raise the frame from the top of the axle so in itself, is a built in lift block.
                Mike
                Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

I would like an answer to me earlier question......
                  compressed or extended ?
                  Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Geesh spune, you are more impatient than my 4 yr old daughter and my wife put together. I have to have access to a computer to give an answer to your question.
                    The picture in my first post is sitting static, neither compressed or extended.
                    The second pic I have posted is extended.
                    The third pic I have posted is compressed.
                    When I said "flexed" I would have been refering to compressed. Anything else I can clear up for you?

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                      Brian

Yep, it's still there. Here's the link to the archived forum: http://www.kcjeepclub.org/old/forum/...ic.php?t=13369

and here's the link in the new forum: http://www.kcjeepclub.org/forum/show...ack-together!*
                      Ok, I can't access either of them since I am no longer a kcjc member.

Comment

yea...hmm.......why did ya need to use computer to look up the answer ?

anywhoos

your pics showed what appeared to be compressed and one that looked sitting still and the next what looked extended but you called all pics flexed !

thus the reason I inquired as to which was which in your reference ! :-)

hope that clarifies this ;-)
                        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Thanx for the link, BKTJ and Rich.

Comment

Originally posted by spunebil View Post
                            yea...hmm.......why did ya need to use computer to look up the answer ?

anywhoos

your pics showed what appeared to be compressed and one that looked sitting still and the next what looked extended but you called all pics flexed !

thus the reason I inquired as to which was which in your reference ! :-)

hope that clarifies this ;-)
                            Spune. For future reference, I ask that you please do not reply to my posts unless I ask for your opinion specifically. Thank you for your consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by BKTJ View Post
                              Spune. For future reference, I ask that you please do not reply to my posts unless I ask for your opinion specifically. Thank you for your consideration.

yea.........I been feeling the same way.........

so it sounds good to me if you do the same ! .......

you kinda ...well......... not to be rude.....but I dont really like you !

no offence ......
                              Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Working...
                              X