2001 Cherokee Limited A/C issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Cherokee Limited A/C issues

We added another Jeep to the stables. Shirley got a sweet deal on a 2001 Black Cherokee Limited in very clean condition with only 77,000 miles. The only problem with it is the air conditioning doesn't work. I checked and it has no pressure in the system at all. It obviously has a pretty bad leak to be totally empty. I found a little info on the net saying the evaporator is often the most likely cause of failures for that year. Before I read that I figured it was probably a bad compressor. Has anyone else with a 4.0 in the neighborhood of 2001 had their A/C fail, and if so, what was the cause? I hate to have to charge the system, just to find the point of failure, just to have to evacuate it again to fix it, but I don't think I have any choice.

I looked for oil on the compressor, lines, and fittings to try and find the source of the leak and didn't see any, which leads me to think the evaporator might be the culprit. If so, I guess I'll be pulling the dash out.

there are so many options to be honest...

I have a vac pump you are welcome to barrow... it is a cheapo and hooks up to a compressor... you are going to need it if you are tracking down a leak... you also will need to use it before you do your fill

I also have a full set of manifold gauges... again you are welcome to use those if you need to

Comment

Before you go pulling your dash out, I would fill it with some dye in it to locate the leak that way you replace the correct parts, or, you not even need to replace anything, my AC on my 97 didn't work when I got it. Turns out, the motor had some work done and they evacuated all the coolant in the system. refilled it and all is fine

Comment

Originally posted by ericfx1984 View Post
        there are so many options to be honest...

I have a vac pump you are welcome to barrow... it is a cheapo and hooks up to a compressor... you are going to need it if you are tracking down a leak... you also will need to use it before you do your fill

I also have a full set of manifold gauges... again you are welcome to use those if you need to
        Thanks, I really appreciate it, but my buddy Jimmy is a trained AC guy so he has all the tools I need to evacuate and refill it.

Comment

Originally posted by audioguy1 View Post
          Before you go pulling your dash out, I would fill it with some dye in it to locate the leak that way you replace the correct parts, or, you not even need to replace anything, my AC on my 97 didn't work when I got it. Turns out, the motor had some work done and they evacuated all the coolant in the system. refilled it and all is fine
          I thought about that, but none of the AC components look like they've ever been touched and we bought the Jeep from the original owner who says the motor has never needed any repairs and that the only problem he ever had with it was the AC going out late last Summer. Like I said, it only has 77k on it. I wouldn't think the compressor would fail with that few miles, which leads me to believe it's the known issue of the evaperator leaking. If that's it, I'll probably be able to spot some compressor oil on the evaporator when I get in there to take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue Diver View Post
            Thanks, I really appreciate it, but my buddy Jimmy is a trained AC guy so he has all the tools I need to evacuate and refill it.
            oh very cool!

Comment

In my experience it is the Evaporator, on any Chrysler. Like the others have said you are gambling if you do not add some dye and check it out first though. It is most likely the evaporator but hard to say without proof. Make sure you look over the condenser real well as they will sometimes spring a leak also.
              Some people just need to get over themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by reward_1000 View Post
                In my experience it is the Evaporator, on any Chrysler. Like the others have said you are gambling if you do not add some dye and check it out first though. It is most likely the evaporator but hard to say without proof. Make sure you look over the condenser real well as they will sometimes spring a leak also.
                I'll do that. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X